WTB 64" HO CDX

DavidDoughty

Hi there, my daughter has caught fire with the waterskiing bug. Our old pro has told me that the best ski for her is the CDX. I have had no luck finding one for her and her birthday is coming up at the end of April. I am hoping someone has one collecting dust somewhere. Her feet are size 4 in youth.

Thanks for looking!

• Baller
CDX is a fabulous older ski. I’d go 65 vs 64 as she’ll grow fast and the extra length now will be fine. You should be able to find them far less than 250-275 range . I have two that we’re both under $150. The older bindings are available as the insert pattern and plates are different, or places like Wiley’s can rebuild for you. The original CDX-1 red white and black checkered flag graphics was one of the coolest ever done. These are great old skis that still rip!

• Baller
After skiing that ski at 64", as well as 67", and since moving on to 20th century technology, I would suggest looking for a different ski. CDX is a heavy, aggressive ski compared to much of what is available on the market now.

• Baller

$275 is insanely high for that old ski. I wouldn’t pay $50. Not that it was bad in it’s time, but that was 20-25 years ago. Those Goode 9800’s are even more than 10 years old now but would be light-year improvements for her over the CDX. You need to go on ski-it-again.com and search in the slalom section. Sort by length. If you move up into the 65 inch area, your choices are almost limitless. You can find a great ski in there for way less than $275.

For that money you could get her a 2019 Radar TRA in a 63 or 65 for $299. Now, understand though, most of us buy our skis blank these days, and our boots separately, and those guys can get up there too. So, that Radar TRA, which is a great ski, with front Prime Boot and Adjustable Rear Toe Plate is $429 brand new.

That kind of puts that $275 CDX in perspective. You can substitute the Radar TRA for any other brand’s “kid specific” ski, but that just happens to be the one I know best, and know it’s good.

• Baller
Agreed the 9800 is an older ski (the one I linked to is not mine) but it is way ahead of the CDX and light people don't put a lot of strain on the ski. There are a ton of good options out there you could find that I think would be better than the CDX.