CAMARO CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE / NICE MARKETING BUT NO SUBSTANCE

I have been using Camaro wetsuits and bough more for my whole family. We are all water-skiers that live in Athens, Greece. The water is warm year-round, so we rarely use them. But still, the suits are super delicate. Even with careful use, I started noticing holes after about 12-14 months. So I sent my suit for repair. At that time the Camaro website stated: “Our unconditional 3-year warranty service ensures free repair - no questions asked, no proof.”

And their repaired it. So I became one of Camaro’s best ambassadors!

But 12 months later the suit started getting damaged with significant holes, due to its extremely delicate material and stitching. So returned it for another repair an also noticed their website now states a much ‘milder’ language: “a 3 year repair service” https://www.camaro-watersports.com/en/3-year-repair-service/.

Obviously the delicate material was a problem for many…

Now Camaro (after asking for proof of purchase which I duly supplied) replied that they consider the wetsuit “Not repairable anymore. Condition of material won´t allow to mend it long-lasting.”

Obviously I asked for alternatives. After all this is within the 3 year warranty period. But Camaro simply passed the problem to their local dealer. The dealer has been extremely professional both with his communication and his products and delivery for years. But they cannot give a viable solution.

So my conclusions:

- Camaro’s powerful sounding statements: “We stand for excellent products and world-class service – we want our customers not only to be satisfied, we want them to be enthusiastic!” are just marketing…

- The material they use is super delicate.

Have you faced similar issues?

Which wetsuit do you recommend I buy?

Regards,

Onic Palandjian

• Baller

I made a warranty claim a few years ago for a few seams that opened up and received excellent support - new suit. Last year I had a zipper break on a new suit and received a new suit under warranty. I realize the point made in this thread is that may be changing but I have no such experience yet.

I have Oneill suits as well and they do hold up better. They last until the neoprene drys out and even then they are still in one piece, just not as flexible and warm.

I still use Camaro suits because they are warm and it’s like I am not wearing a suit. No restriction.

• Baller
I've had many wetsuits and drysuits, the full suit Black Tec Camaro is easily the best suit I've ever owned. A little fragile but so far 3 years on the first one and I won't hesitate to buy another one when I decide this one is done. It feels so light that you think the wind will blow right through the material but it doesn't.

• Baller
I’ve got a Camaro top that’s going on 3 years old and was told to go easy donning and removing. Still going strong so I bought a Blacktec top last fall. Looking forward to hitting the water after April 22 neurologist appointment.

• Baller
I am a huge Camaro fan. Depending on what the holes are, if they are in the body of the material Camaro and rony were pretty clear to me that you need to be cautious with fingernails and that will nick it up every time and that was not a warranty item.

• Baller

@Wish thanks for posting that pic. With all the talk about how delicate these suits are there was no way I was going to spend that kind of money to try one. After seeing that warranty I may order one this spring.

I hope they stand behind it as it’s a crazy good warranty!

• Administrators

Let me say this. My original switch from Camaro to Stokes was because of commercial relationship not because of product preference. 2 years later I have no hesitation in saying that the Stokes products are dramatically more durable and nearly as warm. The Camaro stuff is so warm because it is so stretchy and because of materials used it is super fragile. If it was somebody else's money it would be tempting to buy the Camaro stuff knowing that it might last a season or not. If it is my money I would buy Stokes without hesitation.

In the case of my Stokes EVO slalom vest I probably have 400 rides on it. It's just now starting to look a bit ragged but I think I can get another 50 rides out of it.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I never had a durability issue with my Camaro suits, have used most of their products,still use a sleeveless 0.5mm shorty and a black tech top. It is just that the top of the line O’Neill suits are stretchier than ever and keep the water out at all time. Not every model, the Psychofreak 3/2 long suit with glued seams and a little cheaper choice, the Psycho1 and the Psychotech 3/2.

When it gets warmer the Hyperfreak 2mm longarm shorty is my choice.

It’s some work to get in and out of the suit and feels heavier when dry but once in the water it feels like wearing almost nothing.

Just ditched the drysuit this weekend in Seattle and went with my Camaro shorty. 57 water temp 60 air and was totally comfortable.

I have had my suit for three years. It looks a bit worse for the wear but still warm as can be. I'd buy one every year if necessary its so comfy.

• Baller
I second what @"Keith Menard" said about working and buying thru a quality dealer like @Robbie I am going on 3 years with my current Camaro suits one was totally replaced under warranty when the zipper broke. @Robbie has also changed-out camaro items if there was a problem and then deals with Camaro. Once I mailed a damaged suit to Camaro directly with an explanation..... They are not fast, (it took two months) but I received a brand new suit in the mail.

• Baller

I bought the blacktec long sleeve shorty four or five years ago during the off season. Unfortunately I tore a cuff on my dry suit on opening day and had to resort to my shorty. I don’t know what the water temp was, but the ice had just gone out and the air temp was in the 40’s. It was 84 degrees and sunny as far as I was concerned (except for my exposed legs)! It has lots of pin holes and rips, but it still keeps me remarkably warm.

I bought a Stokes two years ago and have been happy with its durability, but it isn’t nearly as warm as the Camaro. I need to order another Camaro, but I won’t bother with the warranty unless there is a manufactures defect.