Quantum vs. Radar

• Baller

Both are excellent skis. The new Radar is a lighter ski, both in weight and feel on the water. There are advantages and disadvantages to that - especially coming off a Quantum. Older Quantums were not super light and they tracked deep and solid. The newer Quantums are lighter both in weight and feel as well. Going bigger will also make the ski ride higher in the water so you will have some transition time. The trend is toward skis which don't ride as deep (I like that feel) so you might have to adapt.

D3 Custom X is older style if you want that in a new ski that rocks. D3 Aria is the newer feel and another great option. I haven't tried the new Goode but Martin Kollman seems to like it. Just have to mention those options. Avoid the older Radar - the new one is so much better.

If your focus is on flips, I remember the landings on the Quantum were magical. Somehow the ski just tracked and stabilized slightly off balance landings for me. I haven't tried flips on the Radar (or the newest Quantum) so realistically I can't help with flips.

Quantum is the standard for top end performance trick skis. Radar's new trick has all the characteristics to compete. D3 still has the numbers - and deservedly so. You cant go wrong with any of those choices.

Eric

• Baller

@skispray I'm not sure what changes Quantum made - more evolution and subtle tweaking. I felt differences between the ski I tried two seasons ago (or was it last summer?) and one ten years ago. I preferred the feel of the new one but wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

The Radar dramatically changed its design. I first skied one last year and loved it. People were buying both Radars last summer so I'm not sure what year model is the change. The new one looks more elliptical and I've only seen it in black and white. The new one is a completely different ski that I'd recommend. The old one had a couple toxic edge catch characteristics that I couldn't handle.

The trend is toward bigger skis. Choose the bigger ski, adjust your speed to taste and you'll be happy.

Eric