Buoy Setup and Wally Skier Buoys

mwfillmore

• Baller

Just got new wally turnballs. I think I have the correct amount of air, they're just over 7.8" in diameter and super soft... Any special tricks to hooking these up to a fixed anchor course?

Any experience wearing through the D loop on the bottom? should I use webbing? bungee? surgical tubing? or the large wally hooks? On my polyform buoys I normally just use bungee hooks through them bent over.

I've been contemplating the idea of using a strip of orange construction fencing, as an adjustment tool between the sub-float and the bungee/ surgical tubing?

thinking a homedepot special https://goo.gl/images/oRLASX

Anyone tried this?

Yup, surgical rubber tubing (18" unstretched +/-) zip tie to wally buoy and then to flag clip. Easy to attach to anchor sub-buoy. Rubber tubing allows for changes in water level so not so much adjustment necessary. Use the EB (Ed Brazil) Chinese finger trap system to adjust sub buoy. Have used this system since @Edbrazil showed it to me back in the Pro Tour days.

• Baller

Skier to Skier has great plastic hooks for about a buck a piece, bags of 15. These work great for connecting a short piece of surgical tubing to Wally buoys.

We use a hook at both ends of surgical tubing. Makes for quick replacement if one gets cut.

Definitely keep buoy very soft, actually underinflated. It should partially collapse in the half that is underwater.

• Baller_
Usually about two feet, but infrequently a lot more. Obviously you have to adjust buoy height just like any other conventional set up. We are experimenting with a self adjusting system, though, that seems to work quite well.

Lpskier

• Baller_
@lpskier, if you can share your self-adjusting design, that would be helpful. We had self adjusting buoys previously, but it was a bit flaky. We removed it 5 years ago. Ours was based on a counterweight.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
If your water only varies slightly you can use plastic chain between the sub buoy and the rubber tubing to make adjustments. The chain floats and allows inch by inch adjustments. Use yellow chain for visibility. If the water varies widely, you need a bigger adjustment method below the sub.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

@mwfillmore how will you attach the buoy? The advantage of the chain is you put an elastic tube on the buoy with a clip on the bottom. Then attach the clip to whichever link is the appropriate link to maintain the buoy height.

@mwfillmore I’d guess the plastic chain is much more robust than the plastic fence. The chain is cheap You want your weakest link to be as high as possible so you don’t have to swim to a sub every time it comes loose. The tubing attached to the buoy should end up the weakest link.