Which boat?

Andrewracoon

Hey guys. Im looking at 2 different boats and Im wondering which would have the best slalom wake.

The first is a 1996 prostar. The second is a 2000 sunsetter with the diamond hull. Unfortunately I need a bigger boat for everyone to enjoy. I know that both probably have a better wake than the SN2001 that Im coming from. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I assume the prostar is a 190?

I searched long and hard for either a first gen. prostar 205 or sunsetter lxi to get the best combo of slalom wake and space. ended up with sunsetter because it's newer, bigger better and absolutely love it.

• Baller_

The Sunsetter with the good slalom wake will have a cantilever stern. A portion of the trunk and sunpad will overhang the actual hull like a shelf. This was done to put a bigger interior over essentially the exact same running surface as the Response.

No cantilever means it is not as good for skiing.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I had a 1996 MC pro star 205 w/ corvette LT1 engine and sold it in 2017. Loved it. Had it from 2012 - 2017. Great boat all the way around. A lot of compliments, very clean boat. When looking around back in 2012 I did not come across near me a Malibu otherwise i woulda got one. This Prostar was not too far for me, so main reason i got it. One thing i wish my old 205 did have was a rear ski locker. I would say you cant go wrong with either boat. Check both out and picture all of your items in it, which sounds like the sunsetter has more space from the folks who have them.....

Here is a picture of my 1996 205 and also in picture is my new to me 2015 Malibu TXI that i purchased after i sold my prostar 205.. Put up a few pictures of your new boat when you get it.....

gtbdf7pdjc3m.jpeg

• Baller_

Skied a 1995 Prostar 205 today. Great wake. You could get spray at 35 off and shorter, but it was excellent to cut through - soft and low. The 1996 Prostar 205 would have a bit firmer wake, but less spray at shortline.

I owned a 2000 Prostar 205, which would be the same wake as the 1996 Prostar 205- they had the same hull. If I could have upgraded it to Zero Off, I'd still own it.

Here is a 34 mph 22 off pass, which would be the toughest part of the wake on my 2000 205. Ignore the skier technique, but note that at this time I was not regularly running 22 off behind any boat with consistency. It interesting that this is on a 1750 foot lake and getting to speed was no problem with that big boat. (Edited: one other thing, that boat tracked like a freight train)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr5ZniD5wF0

Same lake, same boat, different skier - 36 mph and 28 off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZrueY-x4Wk

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@Andrewracoon — sorry, mine was a 1997, which is same as a 1996. Sorry but I’m not the best person to answer on slalom wake. Im still correcting my technique, working out bad habits. At my level I did not need to upgrade from the 205 to the response TXI, just like any guy I wanted to upgrade and after 2 yrs my wife let me have my way ?. The 205 would of lasted me to the day I die and I’m in my early 40s. On my new to me Malibu, I do like the rear locker that it has on it as well as zero off too. I was an only Mastercraft type guy, but took the blinders off when shopping around when getting my to me new boat, boy I love this Malibu response TXI (keeping this boat till I die). @MISkier — is much better to answer on the 205 wake. View the link of prostar 205 history that @MISkier put in. Cool ski videos @MISkier, I’ll be watching them to emulate and get tips off to better myself.

that paint can be sanded off pretty easily, but it rarely gets put on boats that don't live in saltwater which means a whole host of other issues could pop up. are you near saltwater?

better get confirmation about that sunsetter having a diamond hull, it's a huge difference and a lot of people get confused.

are these boats listed online? nerds like me can tell a lot from internet classified ads...

I second the echelon if you can find an open bow (it was my 3rd choice in last search). there was a cheap echelon lxi with a 454 in Texas? I think, this winter? that is a real man's boat