Do we take Skiing too Serious??

jpattigr

• Baller
I think its just in many peoples personalities. It is mine.... Even though Ive never really been very good at either, I take the same approach now with skiing as I did with golf. I've broken many clubs out of frustration playing golf. Theres an obsession with getting better, and beating my last score. The good of it is that I don't really care how I stack up against others around me. I'm far from being at a high enough level that I'm going to be beating anyone at tournaments, or even be the best skier among those that I usually ski with. But there is a drive to better myself constantly, that becomes an obsession.

• Baller

Yes, I think some do. But not nearly all. I have been primarily a recreational skier, who has taken my skiing seriously and tried to improve it to the best of my ability, but done it for fun. Lately, I chose to try competition and get some coaching and that was super fun, and greatly added to my enjoyment AND success in improving. I have been around some tip top level skiers who have very fun personalities. I have also been around some folks who take themselves WAY too seriously. But in my experience, the real pros I have encountered are great people to be around. It is some of the wanna be's whose expectations are overly high and unrealistic given whatever hampers them that seem to be the pills. If one can enjoy the journey and have realistic expectations (something @MarcusBrown and @Luzz helped me learn in one of their presentations) and continue to pursue it, all the fun in the world can be had along the way.

I agree with @jhughes about separating personality from skiing level.

I also do agree that if you want to really improve, you need to invest in coaching, training, some discipline and dedication, etc. But that can still be approached in a very fun way. Go ski and hang with @twhisper . You'll see.