Stereo in a 196

bojans

• Baller

I am looking to add a stereo to our 09' 196. I would rather not cut into the combing pads for the speakers so am thinking about other locations. I am not looking to do a crazy stereo, likely 2 5" or 6" speakers with controlled by one of these https://www.crutchfield.com/S-m0gDbieRRGv/p_13691369/JL-Audio-MBT-CRXv2.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=337396667160&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=275781635496&awdv=c&awug=9021457&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo8SKiKaM4QIVMRh9Ch2EKg2pEAQYByABEgKL-vD_BwE

with an amp and small sub under the bow. I need to get some measurements but am thinking I might be able to put a speaker under the passenger seat in the carpeted area and then one near the drivers feet. Has anyone else come up with a different location that doesn't require cutting into the combing pads?

• Baller
I remember years ago worrying about cutting the combing pads on my 88 Supra. Turns out the holes for the speakers were already there, so all I had to do was cut an X in the material and had the factory install look. Perhaps Nautique combing pads are the same?

• Baller
Agreed, the speaker holes are already there. It's not as horrible as it sounds making the cut. I believe your boat will also be pre-wired for the speakers right from the factory? My '06 SE was, which was a pleasant, money/time saving surprise.

• Baller
I bought a MONSTER Bluetooth for my boat last year. wrap a towel around it and it doesn't flop around, I can hear it over the boat noise too. Although I do have to charge it, it will last a long time and goes from boat to boat and dock to deck to house. Problem solved! I still have a decent SONY system in the boat but the speakers never last long and the deck fills the hole in the dash.

• Baller

I labored over options in my 196 as well. It had no audio at all when I got it.

I opted for a Clarion glove box DIN unit (wiring already in place) with a wired remote.

If you dig around behind the coaming pads at the back you'll find the factory ~6in holes. So currently I'm using just those 2 holes with Polk 6.5 coax's. I kinda like just the 2 speakers. It's not sufficient while cruising, but sounds quite good and balanced with engine off.

I am planning to add an amp and maybe a small sub.

Installing those speakers wasn't particularly easy. The foam is very thick and getting the speaker mount holes drilled in the right location was tricky.

• Baller

@bojans I have a 02 196 and have two 5" (maybe 6") speakers at the drivers side foot. I also have two more in the rear that are mounted in the pads. For what its worth, the stereo isnt very good and I can only really hear it when we are sitting or if I am pulling my wife at 24. Above that and the sound just doesn't carry from under the drivers feet. The image isnt very good but you can see them.

s9hvbnfmsc1p.jpg

• Baller
Bluetooth speakers are the way to go, way less headache/maintenance. I wish my boat didn’t have a radio. I feel there’s no reason for a radio when skiing. The only time when my radio is turned on is when we’re in idling in a canal or floating on the sandbar which is rare.

• Baller

@Booze I added one of these amp/sub units in the bow of my ‘98; makes all the difference in sound quality for the 4 (new) speakers in the factory locations. Provides the low/end that was otherwise sorely missing. Easy peasy install given the one unit.

Jensen 8in. Amplified Subwoofer JMPSW800 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JQVT17G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VGLKCb0BKC3CZ