Looking for a replacement Perfect Pass display

Goldcup101

• Baller
I battled this last summer. I am embarrassed to say someone/somehow turned the display contrast all the way down to where in bright light it could barely be seen. I thought the display was going out like I've read about quite a bit, till one cloudy day when I could see it fairly well I thought about checking the contrast. Turned it up and works great!

Thanks but sadly I've tried that. It starts off just legible, flickering/fading in and out until the electrics warm up then the display fades away completely. I've tried drying it thoroughly and sealing the PCB against moisture but it isn't any better. Data on screen seems correct when legible so am assuming that Master module is ok.

I've emailed PP but they need the Master module serial no to establish if the display can be replaced without an upgrade to Stargazer but boat is currently in hibernation so will be afew weeks until I can get that info. Easiest and cheapest solution will be to find someone with one of these sitting in their garage!

• Baller_

@Goldcup101: Interesting comment that the display replacement is coupled to Stargazer.

What I have read is 2 versions, single or dual line where the dual line requirement came with classic 6.5NG (or close to that revision). If that is the case and since the dual line display seems to be a weak link in the system, it may drive SG upgrades when displays fail.

• Baller
I've been told the same thing about needing to upgrade to Stargazer...which I refuse to do since a big chunk of my skiing is on a river with a variable current. Maybe when I'm forced to upgrade, they could have a paddle wheel input and the GPS input could be toggled off when the paddle wheel input is selected. I know, I'm dreaming.

• Baller
@DW gotta remember that Stargazer has been around for about 11 years now, the Digital Pro stuck around for a few years but PP phased out support for old Pro systems ~2016 so its more like do they have a compatible part in old inventory that they can scrounge up.

• Baller

I've talked to PP several times over the last few years - the reason you need stargazer is there is actually 3 versions of displays. Version 1 is single line. Verion 2 is a muli-line and works with 6.5NG and Stargazer. Version 3 only works with Stargazer b/c of a voltage requirement change in the display (different lcd screen supplier) The newer modules put out enough voltage to drive the new display.

• Baller

@Ski_Dad is correct. The issue is that the newer displays aren't the same voltage as the older master modules, requiring you to replace both.

I had the same issue as @Goldcup101 and lived with it for a while, but eventually upgraded to stargazer and bought a new display at the same time.

• Baller_
The unanswered question, what is the root cause for the display fading? It is a very common issue. The one solution I have heard is to conformcoat the circuit board, any success stories doing that?

• Baller

Stargazer still offers classic slalom mode which is what you have now. They used to be able to offer paddle wheel speed also on stargazer. Ask them.

Otherwise buy a new display for somebody who runs stargazer on a g2 display there are truckloads out there.

I read the same solution that @dw speaks of but I've tried the conformal coating route and saw no difference unfortunately.

I'm not course skiing so upgrading to SG makes no financial sense but since the boat had PP installed when I bought it, I'd like it to work and the speed control would be handy (though not essential). I've got the 2nd Airguide available to reinstall if required but I'd prefer to get the PP working again if possible without spending a fortune.

I'll try to get the serial number of the master module asap to establish if it is Version 2 or Version 3.

I restored the boat 2 years ago (Masters 97 TSC) from almost dead to almost showroon so it's frustrating to not have everything working as it should.

Many thanks to all for the advice!

• Baller
@Goldcup101 we have had exactly the same problem. We were told the same thing, replace the whole system. Otherwise you will have to find an older multi line display.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

I'm looking to buy a spare multi-line Nautique 5" dia display.

The current display on my 2007 196 works great pixel wise but it will sporadically go dark. Sometimes on the 5th or 6th pass. Engine restart solves it.