D3 EVO-S Waterski

ballsohard

• Baller

Softer flex:

The D3 EVO-S traces its heritage to the incredibly successful ARC-S. The EVO-S still features the quick, stable turns the EVO is known for but don’t be fooled… the EVO-S has performance to spare. A softer flex philosophy from the middle of the ski forward allows the skier quicker more precise access to the front of the ski as the skier changes edges and approaches the turn. The EVO-S is especially effective for skiers who like to ride a slightly larger size ski or may be on the lighter side of the weight-range.

• Baller
ARC-S seemed to come around more symmetrically for me, particularly on the onside turns. I still have it though I'm not riding it primarily. I had a hard time making the EVO work on both sides and I gave it a nice long trial period. Keep in mind this is in the 28-32 off range at 34. Can't speak for shorter lines or 36mph.

• Baller
Just got on the EVO 'S' out of the box super impressive, turns both sides equally well, can screw up on it and still wind up early and wide enough for next buoy, likes to be ridden center but if your heavy on the front it won't stall at the finish and if you come out of the turn on the tail it still gets you there...so many good attributes about it

• Baller
I am seeing really good results from almost everybody trying the Evo-S... In almost every case it results in a switch. Super user friendly and forgiving, while capable of developing lots of angle

• Baller
I have skied on the ARC-S for 2 years. It was probably one of my favorite skis I have ridden over the past 10 years. Actually had a backup just in case I needed it. I just got a new EVO-S and switched 3 weeks ago. I went back and forth a few sets to compare and decided to stay on the EVO-S. I used almost the same settings between the ARC-s and EVO-s. The transition was very easy. The biggest difference I saw was the EVO-s finishes the onside turn with great angle very easily and I was consistently coming into the offside much earlier. The ARC-s was very forgiving, generated good angle with tail slide and was very consistent. The EVO-S has been very forgiving, consistent but builds angle a bit easier and at 35 off seems to be skiing an earlier line. It seems more sensitive to ski setup and I am still trying different binding settings but good results so far. I am on the 67" and have reflex front and rubber back.

• Baller

@Tim Vaio What you just described about your EVO-S is literally the exact same thing I feel on the EVO.

Like you, I rode the ARC-S. I could run 35 occasionally on it. But I never felt like the ski established enough angle to create enough space to run the pass flawlessly. I always needed a big 3 ball to run it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhVLrYUgNhB/

The 2018 EVO took care of the angle problem and 35 started feeling easy. I ran 4@38 a good handful of times in practice and thought I was going to run it once but went down around 5 ball. Tied my tournament pb of 2@38 a good number of times. (Hit the right arrow on the pic)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj-2UgyAN48/

The 2019 EVO will probably be the ski that gets me through 38. What I felt at stock was a crazy good offside and so-so onside. Just couldn't get the ski to dive into the turn.

I moved my bindings back one hole from stock and went from stock in my length to 6.954. Wing is setup at 8.5 degrees and DFT and depth are stock.

I'll probably stick with these numbers because the ski absolutely rocks.

• Baller
Stop it! Fake news! Quit saying it’s better than the Arc. Someone has to jump in here and say the Evo sucks. I love my Arc-s and don’t want to drop another pile of money on a new ski. ?

• Baller

@DaveD I love the ARC-S. My personal experience with the EVO wasn't amazing. To be honest, I skied better on the NRG than I did the EVO. I was only on the EVO for a short time, so it's very possible I could've got it dialed in to a more comfortable ride.

I will probably demo the new NRG R1 and the EVO-S, and spend a few weeks deciding which one fits me better.

• Baller
Just a little insight in that the majority of skiers that have demoed the EVO, EVO 'S' and NRG we have spent more efforts on binding placement than fin movement. Small increments forward/back and front/rear spacing are making a noticeable difference in the skis attributes depending on skiers style. Venturing from factory fin settings are minimal if at all.

• Baller
I got an EVO mid last season. Tried bindings stock, forward .25, stock, back .25. Had a buddy tell me I looked the best he’s seen me ski, but I was feeling sort of indifferent and was planning to sell the ski. Finally this spring, back .50” from stock 30” ( I’m at 29.5” on 67”) and now I’m pretty excited about the ski. Feels much more alive and nimble. I have a Microjust and may install and fine tune from here, but this feels really really good. Doing an EVO demo? Don’t send it back until you’ve moved your bindings around a bit, or even a lot.

• Baller

So, after struggling with my KD Platinum for more than a season, and still missing my old D3 ARC-S, @jayski set me up with a brand new D3 Evo-S.

I’m on it now for about 3 weeks and couldn’t be happier!

My skiing is better than ever, the ski felt perfect right out of the box (stock fin, stock settings, and stock binding placement) and today I even tied my PB despite a very bad gate and 93° water.

That ski has been a real confidence builder for me since day one and it took almost no time to get used to it. (Okay, I had been on a couple d3 skis in the past, but this one I like by far the best!)

It is fast, it is super stable, it turns on a dime on- and offside and never surprises you with any unwanted or unexpected behavior.

I never had so much fun hitting the course!

Thanks again Jay! :)

• Baller
@jipster43 I am skiing on a Mapple T2 and do you feel switching to the EVO was a big improvement ? I mean is it easier to ski ? Do you mind to tell me what was the maine difference between the 2 skis ? Thank's

• Baller
@chris55 I was on a T2 and just got the EVO this Spring. Very easy transition and yes it's overall a big improvement. My offside is more consistent, and the ski is very stable. It maintains it's speed out of the turn, and overall feels faster than my T2. I do feel that the T2 was easier to get width off the second wake, with the EVO it's fine you just need to focus on handle control a little more. That could possible be improved with settings, I'm at stock.

• Baller

@chris55

Jay is a on the d3 demo team.

He was very helpful in the process of deciding which route to go, had answers to all my questions and sent me a brand new ski to test.

I initially had planned on mounting my WhisperFin on that ski, but figured I try stock first.

As of now I don’t see any reason whatsoever to change anything on that ski.

It is just fantastic to ski on as is.

And for reference, I’m a 34mph skier, finally getting back into the 32’s with that ski. :p