How would you score this?

• Baller
Without the multiple view replays we see in major TV sports I'm not sure this type of issue can be solved unless the organizing bodies find lots of donors to provide the technology, equipment, labor and rule changes.

• Baller_
This is not a camera angle that would be reviewed by the judges. The judges see video from the boat, a completely different perspective. According to the rules, the judges must see a miss. If they can’t see a miss then it’s not a miss, even if it is a very close call. Tie goes to the runner. So let’s see some boat video before arguing whether it was a good or bad call from the judging perspective.

Lpskier

• Baller

@lpskier agreed - although it matters more when it would change final ranking.

What sort of fairly cheap technological solution could be implemented? A reflective sticker for instance could be lit up by a flash. One could redefine what part of the ski had to be around to a point on the ski tip - thereby giving you a fixed point in space that could be picked up on boat video.

• Baller

@Horton I am not sure we need to do anything about it, other than continue encourage our officials to know the rules (I don’t believe this is an issue) and make sure our officials have access to direct view and quality video and review if used.

Are we going to add more technology? Not in the short term. Maybe sooner we than we think we can have drones hovering over every buoy or use tracking technology measure the distance between skis and buoys. The latter is the case in nearly all top tier pro sports but for now, that is too complicated and expensive for waterskiing.

Not sure any rule changes would help this particular situation. As someone said above, we will have some human error.

• Baller
The call of 2@41 came like 10 seconds after the pass. If video review was used efficiently it might take an additional 60 seconds. When the skier is only 34 feet away, the slow mo function on an iPhone would clearly be able to see the call. Not acceptable for the finals of the first and biggest pro event of the year.

• Baller
@dbressel Your comment confuses me on many levels. 1) Not true. He has stopped looking at the ball long before that frame. 2) Even if true, how would it be relevant? Are you trying to imply that he should have demanded that his score be lowered?

• Baller
@Than_Bogan; sorry for the confusion; however, I guess it is my interpretation of the all the pictures on this thread with his head looking down. I guess his eyes could be looking across to the next buoy; but based on his one ball, I am sure he was just trying to get the full two. Also, would not blame him for leaving it up to the judges to make the call.

Question does IWWF and Pro events have 1 boat judge and 2 tower judges like AWSA events. If the same which judge called what. I will go with the boat judge every-time. The boat judge sees 99% tower judges see 50% or less.

Not enough money in the sport to have qualified people setting up Instant replay and quality video etc. Why mess with it until it is viable. Same goes with tower judges why have them.

The 1rst frame posted I would say he missed it but other frames posted I would give it to him. Good boat judge all ya need. Bad calls are made at every level but a pattern follows that judge.

• Baller_

@walleye Depending on the tower configuration, there are as few as three judges with a camera in the boat or as many as five, plus gate and end course video. Assuming Moomba is an R (no need for an L as there are no non-Open skiers) there is always a boat camera.

The score is the highest agreed score among the judges. For example if one judge saw one and two saw two, the score is two. If one saw one, one saw two and one saw three, the score is two because two judges saw a score of at least two.

Lpskier

• Administrators

@killer

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

The chief Judge was Jeff Smith. He is a lawyer from the mid west. Since @killer deleted his post I will explain. There are 2 Sr Judge 3 Event Jeff Smith's from Michigan. One owns Silver Spray (and is a sponsor of Nate Smith) and one is a Lawyer. The one at Moomba is the Lawyer.

It as an understandable misunderstanding by Killer.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

How is there not proper video review? How is there not proper video review in boat after every pass at 10.75 or shorter?(w today’s handheld tech this should be so easy)

After seeing the buoys moving around w the current on Saturday I’m not sure how any slalom record would hold up(diff story w trick and jump) regardless on that river.

It seems to me like Moomba is more of a glorified ski show.... of course Nate isn’t going to say anything. That’s not his job. Did me miss it absolutely. Too bad for Joel... nice to see Thomas take Nate out! Well deserved!