Rob Hazelwood - Torn Bicep Injury video from Instagram

Horton

• Administrators

https://www.instagram.com/skirobhaz/

This sucks so bad. He is an amazing young talent. He is young so hopefully he will fully recover and get back on the water. Lots of us old guys have popped our bicep tendons and recovered so hopefully it's the same deal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuossjEBmFm/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=w9qxzmmrfw22

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
In the description of the video he states that when he fell his arm went through the handle tore the bicep tendon and lacerated the forearm muscle. I sure hope he can recover from that but sounds more serious than the usual old guy torn bicep. I have put my arm through the handle twice once without an arm guard and once with an arm guard. Sure is a scary thing.

• Administrators
The description reminds me of the injury that happened to.... I'm sorry I forgot his name..... Nicole Arthur's ex-husband. By the looks of the other pictures on Instagram I don't think it's nearly that bad. I sure hope so.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators
@AdamCord I know you worked with... again I'm embarrassed I can't remember his name... can you recount the details of his injury. Similar and Superbad if I recall correctly.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@horton Aiden Willers is who you're trying to remember. I've skied with him, took a lesson from him, he used to live next to a friend of ours. He doesn't ski a lot anymore, but was skiing with a special handle, and a hook on that hand. I think the biggest issue he's left with is lack of grip on that hand. Great skier, I watched him ski into 35 off still, great technique, way early into every ball. Great guy.

This video talks some about the accident, and the handle he came up with, along with Andy.

• Baller

I was there when I was 19. I will never forget it. I preach handle guards to everyone. Some people don't think it can happen to them but it can. Now, when I fall the location of the handle becomes my primary thought.. I HOLD ON TO THE HANDLE TIL I FEEL THE BOAT TAKE IT AWAY.

After I felt the violent pop, I reached down to feel if my arm was still attached to my body. I was in hospital with torn arteries and surgical drains to reduce compartment pressures for almost a week. I recovered pretty quickly and was even able to play college football that Fall.

I have pondered the idea that there should be some kind of "Breakaway" link in the rope or handle. In my crash the handle went all the way to my armpit. The handle was bent to a 45 degree angle with the pressure.

We need to talk to the people who we coach and ski with that this can happen and how to avoid it. Handle guards will help but it is still possible for hands and arms to get caught.

Skiers need to be "handle aware" during crashes and manage it. Forward crashes at the buoy are almost always the biggest risk. It happens fast but skiers should always think about holding on to the handle until the boat takes it away.

• Baller
@skier2788 I would like to hear more about your accidents, especially the one with the handle guard. What guard are you using, was it less severe/more/about the same than the time without? I know there is no way any handle guard can totally prevent a hand getting through, and there could be an argument that on the rare chance a hand does get in, it may have a harder time finding its way out. Of course the guards will pretty much 100% keep your head out of the triangle. I've been using the FM guard, but always looking for more info....

• Baller
I had a lot of coaching from Aiden super nice Guy, really upset when he got hurt, takes someone special to get back to running 35off and beyond, after what he went through, not sure of the details but I think he was pretty close to not making it during the surgery, the injury was compounded by the long wait for emergency services, possibly it might of been better to put him in a car and transport him direct to the hospital, but at the time you think that the emergency services would react quicker.

• Baller
@ScottScott the first time I did it I am not sure exactly what happened. Fell going around five ball and my arm went through. Felt my forearm get into the V between the handle bar and the rope. Immediate pain and knew something was really bad. Ended up with an 8 in bone bruise and it tore the last two Inches of my forearm muscle off. Completely tore my glove in half including the thick wrist strap. Decided I needed an arm guard. I tried the FM but didn't care for it. It was too big and I constantly hit it. I bought an In Tow handle with the bar but felt it left too large of a gap. Ended up with the ML version that is just a couple of section of rope. I really feel like it is the best solution for me. The second time with the arm guard I was going around four and hit a bit of wash that my lake gets. It stuffed the tip and kicked me out the front. My right hand rotated directly around the bar and between my guard. This time it went all the way to my arm pit. The only thing I could think to do was pin my elbow to my side and try to hold the handle up in my shoulder. Lucky for me it worked. I ended up just sliding on my back from four ball to between five and six. I had an observer that day and a great boat driver who got the boat stopped quickly and I could let my arm out without injury. My observer never took his turn that day as it shook him up too bad. I got back on that horse and ran 6 openers about 15 minutes after. Had a few bruises but nothing like the first time.

• Baller

Thanks @skier2788. Scary stories for sure, glad and surprised that 2nd incident wasnt worse.... im not sure that masterline is making anything like that currently. Ill have to ask them..... ive been using the fluid motion and its fine for me.

@powbms. Primary downside to using a guard is hitting it while grabbing the handle and missing. Ive only done that once, but have seen someone using my handle hit it and miss. Only other downside is the argument that if your arm does go in, it might have a harder time sliding out. I guess that potential exists with any of the guards, but i feel like reducing the chance it goes in in the 1st place is better. And any type of guard will pretty much 100% eleiminate your head going into the V, and there is really only 1 outcome if that happens.

• Baller

I hope it’s not too bad! When I skied with Aiden at Mapple’s he was using a hook he made out of steel from a old bed frame! It kept straightening out when he was st 38 off so I made a couple out of heat treated tool steel he said they worked great!

Very impressive what he could do after such a severe injury!

• Baller
That injury is not as uncommon as you might think. I know three guys in the Houston area that had arm through handle injuries, myself included. Use a handle guard of some type. It may take a little getting use to, but worth the effort if you ever need it.

• Baller

I feel so sorry for Rob!!!

Just a few days prior to this unfortunate accident he tied the U21 British National Slalom Record with a stunning 3@41off 36mph! He was definitely on fire and so ready for Moomba.

Hope he will heal up fully and get back to skiing soon!

gghpewrxfpr5.jpeg

qs03a7k3k0xa.jpeg

• Baller

He fell because his ski broke.

A ski SHOULD NOT BREAK while skiing. This is a material failure that caused a serious accident that could have been career ending or fatal.

My brother is an ortopedic surgeon in the hospital where he is now. Fortunately, it looks like the injury is not as bad as it could have been.

jatiiosflcii.jpeg

• Baller

Robert is as nice as it gets. Here is a pic of him on Sunday, after he broke the UK record. He was the hero of the day for all kids here. He will be back, and he will break more records soon.

t4218pnympes.jpeg

• Baller
I’m praying for him. I started working on a configuration for a handle guard for my Masterline Carbon Custom right after first reading this. Between Robert and Aiden I’m half afraid to ski, with or without a guard. Especially after the video of the description of Aidens injury. I could barely keep the video going. I’ve prayed for him several times today, come to think of it. I’m hoping @ral brother is correct. I want to see this young man break records