How Malibu Should Have Done It

PurdueSkier

• Baller

Last fall I bought a 2010 Malibu LXI. I have spent a lot of time in these boats and knew what I wanted. My boat came with the optional jump seat. I really like the extra seating space for the observer but hate that it blocks access to the open bow. I have always liked Mastercrafts hinged seat in the 197 and even more so in the newer Prostars. So I took my jump seat and modified it. I cut the original base down and added custom hinges. There is a small handle on the top. To release the back you just pull up and fold down. When you fold it back up it drops into place. If you have one of these boats you know they also removed some cupholders. So my design adds two back. The cupholders double as a support when folded down. Everything was built with HDPE material and SS. Nothing to rot or rust. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but loved how it turned out.ysvmtwpwtus1.jpg

hory5fhwj2zu.jpg

osgkpkyo6azb.jpg

maf6mrxsysgz.jpg

5g7njuwyy6p9.jpg

• Baller
@skimtb I struggled finding the right hinge and locking system. The seat fits very tight in the walkway so not much room to access a release on the sides. I also wanted to access from both the front and back of the seat. This works well but was a bit expensive. I bought these hinges from Nautinox in Italy. I couldn't find anything local. Their customer service was really good. I ended up having to cut the hinges down in the back because they were hitting the side panels in the boat.

• Baller
@MrJones they actually dont. I was worried about that but test fit everything before I built it. Even when sitting half on the jump seat and half on the observer seat you dont feel the hinges. They are further back than they look in the picture.

Well done! Would love to do that to my '10 LXi. Will need to think hard about where that seat is stashed though.

Please let me know if you have come up with an innovative fix for that stereo remote. I swear that if you come within an inch of that thing it turns the stereo on or off.

• Baller
Dang that has taken the concept of Prototype right to Final Product! I so am impressed with your skill in modifying that jump seat I had to find my password for BOS so I could comment. I assume you have a great shop/man-cave!