Nate Smith listed on “U.S. Center for SafeSport” database for Allegations of Misconduct

Horton

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Ugh. Of course, please keep in mind that this is still "alleged misconduct" and the restriction is temporary while investigation is pending.

But I actually just completed my own SafeSport training about a week ago, and one thing they teach is that false complaints against coaches are very rare.

Also, I bet many of you are wondering WTF SafeSport is. It's not about things like helmets and proper tackling. It's about things like bullying, harassment, hazing, and sexual abuse. For the most part it is focused on the coach-athlete relationship and the potential for abuse of power therein, but it does deal with athlete-athlete relationships to some extent as well.

• Administrators

Rules regarding the Nate Smith SafeSport sanctions

Any details (substantiated or not) will not be tolerated unless those details were revealed by official channels.

None of this is funny. Any post made in poor taste will be removed.

As owner and administrator of this website, I will not apologize or explain myself if I delete posts or ban users. I have every intention of maintaining a professional level of decorum on this subject.

For a in depth understanding of how SafeSport operates I highly recommend this article from SwimSwam.com

https://swimswam.com/digging-in-on-safesports-investigative-process-ban-terminology/

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@gjohnson It's three sessions, and each one is close to an hour. It's really, really good stuff to know, but it's rather unpleasant and was making me very angry at my fellow man some of the time, so I was mentally exhausted after each session and chose to space them out a little.

• Administrators

@Orlando76

Nate is not banned. Interim measure - restricted

The details of the sanction are extremely vague. see https://swimswam.com/digging-in-on-safesports-investigative-process-ban-terminology/

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

This is all so unfortunate for everyone concerned. :(

All I can say is that I hope the case was well and impartially edjudicated and whatever these "interim measures" that are being taken are, I hope they are just and fair to both Nate and the complainant(s).

Nobody wins in a situation like this. All you can hope for is that a fair judgement was made, the right things happen as a result and if mistakes or errors in judgement were made by anyone, that the people who made them learn what they need to and those mistakes or errors are never made again.

• Baller
No judgment on Nate or his accuser but reading through the swim article seem like this system is really ripe for abuse. Once your name is on the Internet it's tarnished no matter what the investigation finds.

• Administrators

@scotchipman this post was created because there is no escaping the news.

The fact that SafeSport has placed Nate on "Interim measure - restricted” is the only possible discussion item about Nate that does not involve conjecture or rumor. Normally conjecture and rumor is entertaining forum conversation but in this case, the stakes are just too high.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
Had never heard of this but asked my daughter if she had to take the courses being a Level II Olympic Archery Instructor. She said yes. Pretty serious stuff. I agree it can be abused. Basically told her to be very careful. She seemed keenly aware.

• Administrators

• Baller
Pretty sure this is nothing like the tournament in Spain. Once safe sport is involved from my understanding there are more than enough serious allegations to be a cause for concern. Should be an interesting summer

• Baller

If we can't discuss gross athlete misconduct here when they involve those at the top of the sport, shut the site down!

Thank you @horton for sharing as I Have heard lots over the years but it's 2nd or 3rd hand info so I have no business sharing publicly because the allegations are very serious and unproven. However, Is the saying not? "where there's smoke, there's fire". Guess we will find out..

• Administrators

This sort of thing is a nightmare for a forum admin.

SafeSport says very little. As I have said before I think that is by design. The details are confidential. If I understand “the code” correctly, the violation(s) could be as small as “bullying by text message” or any number of possible infractions all the way up to things truly awful. SafeSport as already “restricted” Nate (whatever that means) so he is already being tried in the court of public opinion. It is vague but inescapable.

If the investigation results in him being sanctioned for “throwing his ski” but the court of public opinion convicts him of being the “harbinger of the apocalypse” that is certainly an injustice. We have to have faith that SafeSport knows what they are doing.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Regardless of whether something did happen or not, this thread is a good way to raise awareness about a real danger for vulnerable athletes and a reminder that some measures are in place to protect those athletes and kids. Finally this is an important process in order to officially dismiss rumors or sometimes, unfortunately confirm ugly events did happen.

• Baller_
@Killer The tenant in my office building smelled smoke last Saturday evening. Fire Fepartment called. Fire fighters broke down my office door, destroying the casing. But after all that, no fire. I’m glad the fire department was called and responded so quickly, but there was in fact no fire.

Lpskier

• Baller
On the USA Water Ski Site under Safe Sport Program there are different links on the program. If you go to the certification requirement there's a chart that list all officials and what is required for them to be certificated. (including anyone that's even involved with the teams). Plus all the other links explains everything pretty well. One interesting thing on the Suspended Member List 3 out of 6 members that are permanently suspended are in violation of Safe Sport Policy.

• Baller
Either there will be only smoke, or there will be fire, regardless of whatever happened in someone’s office hundreds of miles away. If there is some sort of magical connection between said office and this case that I’m not picking up on, then forget about investigating as you already have your answer.

• Baller

V. INTERIM MEASURES

At any point before a matter is final through these Procedures or

arbitration, interim measures may be appropriate to ensure the

safety or well-being of the Reporting Party, Athletes, other Nonathlete Participants or the Responding Party. Interim measures

may also be appropriate where an allegation against the

Responding Party is sufficiently serious that the Responding

Party’s continued participation could be detrimental to sport or its

reputation. Nothing in these Procedures prevents the Office,

LAO, NGB or USOC from taking appropriate interim measures

upon notice of an imminent threat of harm. In such emergency

circumstances, it may be appropriate to immediately remove a

Covered Individual to address such a threat.

A. Rules

Any interim measures hearing will be conducted according to

the Rules.

B. Scope

The interim measures hearing is not to be a full hearing on the

merits and is limited to determining whether there exists

reasonable cause to impose one or more interim measure(s).

C. Measures

Interim measures may include, but are not limited to, altering

training schedules, providing chaperones, implementing

contact limitations between the parties, and suspensions.

• Baller

Really unfortunate, but is it right to have a interim period which is publicised, should it be kept under wraps until they substantiated there is a issue, I take it that the skiing community closest to any event that may have taken place, would be aware, meaning nobody is likely to be at risk until facts have been established.

Seeing that somebodies livelyhood may be on the line, if the accusers name is protected, should it be the case that the accused name also be protected ?

Lets hope Nate comes out clean

• Baller

@Stevie Boy classic catch 22...

Reporting accusations- well maybe they're innocent and this is just a smear campaign and think of their career.

Not reporting accusations - well why didnt someone say something sooner before 200 gymnasts got abused by their team physician????

The role of this sort of site is to inform people of the status of some sort of investigatory process. Does it stink - yes. Does it stink if it protects literally a single person?...

• Baller
I hope he's clean, or made a novice mistake, and/or that it's a minor and easily correctable thing. If legit I hope it's not a damning mistake for him personally or anyone affected, and that rather it's a learning and personal growth opportunity. Speculation isn't helpful, but patience is.

• Baller

Fwiw, one of my take-aways from the SafeSport training is that these folks are definitely not Witch Hunters. They're very aware of how grey some of this stuff is, as well as the potential to ruin reputations based on false or exaggerated accusations. They take their roles in education and enforcement very seriously, but also have enormous respect for the privacy of those involved, until it becomes unsafe not to act.

As much as I didn't enjoy the training, and had to resist the urge to go put a bullet in a certain gymnastics doctor's head, I was genuinely impressed by the course and the organization behind it.

• Baller_
Spoke some more to my daughter about this. Her take away from the courses was that common sense would prevail in 99% of instances and situations where trouble could arise for her as a coach. She said there was a few spots in the course work that were enlightening. But SportSafe does go further with courses in concussions as well as cardiac arrest and she viewed these as extremely helpful. So she's certified by USA Archery. I'm assuming the AWSA or USA Waterski is the entity that has coaches take the courses in oder to be certified????

• Baller

Congress passed a Federal law that in any sport, any coach or official that has direct contact with children must pass SafeSport training. I have done this for years as I have been involved in Olympic Training Center camps. Now I have to do it just to talk to a kid on a ski hill.

Yes, this is a result of US gymnastics and Nassar, and many other sports. It's about protecting children from abuse, and not reporting is just as bad as committing the abuse. It's not somebody throwing a ski, and it's not funny, and it's not somebody yelling fire. If it has gone this far, my guess it's it's quite serious and it has nothing to do with competition or ability to still compete.

• Baller

It,s sad but as a Adult you have to always be thinking how to protect yourself, I always insist that the parent of a child remains onsite and rides in the boat when skiing a child, no exceptions, simple things like helping the child get on the boat platform, zipping/unzipping their wetsuit, friendly chat, simple things that could leave you wide open to being accused, it is sad but when around children, I am always on my guard.

But I do understand that there are people in this world , that are not what I consider normal, because of this everybody is vunerable.