In Search Of Beginner Ski Boat For College Student

scottyspin

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for the right boat for a year and have let two boats slip out of my hands. Looking for a ski boat on cheaper side in NorCal preferably that I can take out with family, friends and teammates on college team. Looking to stay at 10k or less and preferably open bow but not a must(I know that not many boats fit my constraints). I was just wondering if people know of any good deals, I constantly look at craigslist, other websites and talk with local mechanics but there are never many boats in my range. Its quite a stretch but I love Prostar 205's and SNOB's post 1993. I am open to looking at other boats as well.

Thanks for the help!

• Baller

10K is just right on the verge of the Prostar 205 - most of these are going to be in pretty rough shape below 10 depending on your market, the Prostar 190's of the same vintage you may get for a few grand less but not open bow.

Other boats you might search for -

Moomba Outback

Supra

Malibu

I've seen some prostar 190's @swc5150 and got an offer on a 1996 for 5k that has been sitting outside without a cover for 3 years... Engine runs but needs to be resealed and whole interior is shot and will need to be redone. Do you think thats a decent option or is that boat a liability for being out in the elements for that long?

• Baller

92 PS 205 This boat was in our club. I knew the original owners and it was used pretty easy since I was in the club (early 2000's). Used by an older couple and the hours were probably mostly learn to ski days.

The MB may also be a pretty good boat. I remember the Boss 190's being pretty decent skier back in the early 2000's. They have a 210 which is the Open Bow. This Boss 210 is pretty old but still may be available.

Check FB Marketplace as well. Here is a late 80s MC 190

• Administrators

@scottyspin

I might have a 2000 SN with GT40 for 5K. Boat needs to be cleaned up but she runs good. A little $ for some new vinyl and bits plus some elbow grease and you would have a killer boat. Trailer not included.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@scottyspin here are some others you may be interested in close to your price range....may be able to negotiate a little?

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/classified-group-buy-section/boats-for-sale-by-owner/576975-1996-ski-nautique-196

*** This one has the LT-1 Corvette engine

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=100011

***PS 205 just dropped his price in January

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=84287&page=2

• Baller
@6balls , the above 196 ad referred to recent carb rebuild. How well did the carb TSC1’s ski? I know the GT-40 boats were fantastic. Never actually saw or talked to anybody who skied on a carby TSC1. Or could that boat have been repowered?

• Baller
No difference in skiing, carb will need a rebuild every 3-4 years. Need to pump the gas a couple times to start it when cold. Otherwise you won’t see a difference. I had a 97 w GT 40. Great slalom wakes at all speeds and line lengths.

• Baller

The SNOB and the 205 are both great boats but as you discovered they are hard to find nearly impossible in your price range.

The best options I saw on SIA for you are both in So Cal. but might be worth the trip.

I 2003 MB190, EFI, PP, closed bow but huge trunk that saves floor space and skis great

OR a 2002 Response LX, step-over open bow, tower, EFI, PP and a wedge if you just want to play.

Good Luck,

• Baller
I didn’t want to get this thread too off topic. For the OP, I just wanted to highlight the referenced ad was for a carby 97 TSC1. During that era (I could only find a 98 brochure) Nautique offered the 310 HP GT-40; a 290 HP carb (GT-40 heads); and a base 260 HP carb motor. I’m not too sure the 260 HP carb motor is going to feel like the 310 HP GT-40. Which carb motor is in the boat? Dunno, ad doesn’t say. Is it still going to ski OK? I’m sure it will, but it may feel different. Just a question worth asking if you are considering that boat.

• Baller

@ReallyGottaSki mostly agree - I think the 20+ year old marine electronics are still fairly well working but I would not spend the $ replacing a MEFI I-III - I would just install a carb and distributor - luckily pretty easy to do on those boats.

I wonder what PP has up their sleeve.

• Baller
@scottyspin great purchase. I have an 02 RLX that is still going strong and ski regularly with a friend with either a 98 or 99 that runs great as well. That boat will provide years of great skiing for you.

• Baller
@scottyspin WOW, it has been like 20+ years since I have seen that Marina on the Delta. Some things just dont change! We used to launch out of there when I was a kid but probably havent been there since the late 90s when I was no more than 14. Still recognized it instantly. How cool. Enjoy the new boat!