ML- Dlx 9.25m Optimized Slide Loop Review

Ed_Johnson

• Baller

Went by Performance and picked up a new ML Optimized Rope. Did my first set this morning and it was much different than I thought. First thing I noticed was that it was easier to come up out of the water. Also, I was expecting to feel a bungee effect on Gate pull out and in the course, but that did not happen. I took it easy my first 3 passes to feel things out. The only thing I noticed was I was consistently faster at the ball. On the next 3 passes I got on it, and that is where this rope performed. When I hooked up off the ball and did a short, HARD, pull, the rope seemed to "PROPEL" you into the carry out. The release off the edge change felt way different than the old standard ML rope. Instead of feeling a quicker release in tension, this rope stayed with you longer and had a tendency to keep a tight line into and off the ball with little effort.

Later, when reviewing the video, it became obvious during the last three passes, that there seemed to be much more acceleration when I used the short, hard, forward load technique. I attribute this as to why the rope seemed to stay with me better and longer. While I never felt the bungee effect I expected, the acceleration and cast out was much better than with the old rope. To my surprise, I was significantly, much less tired than normal at the end of the set.

Overall, this rope is a keeper, and I am looking forward to maximizing it's potential. I recommend that you call Bill at Performance and order one.

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson, do you think that an open water/free skier would see any noticeable benefits from it? Would it have any benefits for guys like me who are a bit older? I'm 57 and ski with a guy in his early 60s who cuts suddenly and hard (I'm more transitional and smooth) putting a lot of tension on the rope. I sometimes see the handle go flying past me when he bites it in the middle of a turn and I'm driving the boat.

• Baller

@DangerBoy....Well I am a lot older than you and it benefits me...However, for open water it might increase the fun factor if you got into a game with it like the harder and quicker I load it. the more it's going to fling me out.

IMHO, this rope was designed for someone like Nate who can really load forward, short, and hard, which gives him a great cast out and a giant preturn, and gives him enough time to eat a sandwich.