Path Deviation

JAS

• Baller
@JAS I'm not sure that for position it is accurate enough, this is why we occasionally have to remap the gates due to GPS drift. I'm sure that the technology is out there somewhere though. The Splash eye system works well if you can get it to run i.e. environment has to be ideal

• Baller

So... yes it could. Where this technology is actually fairly mature- Agriculture.

http://agopengps.gh-ortner.com/doku.php#how_agopen_works

Huge cost if you over apply product x thousands of acres.

But most tractor GPS systems utilize some sort of local base station to compute actual GPS location error near the tractor.

Accuracy now sub inch.

• Baller
Discussed this a few months back....if the gates had a sub-buoy magnet at each end of the course, then the ZO would be able to know exactly where it is at the start & end of the course. Surely this could be used to track the boat path down the course??

• Baller

@gavski start and end is already pretty good. No one cares if the GPS triggers an inh before the entry gates or even many inches before the entry so long as it triggers approximately the same at the other end.

The lateral deviation is problematic, that same inch error 6 times over is now adding up quickly. Inch left in the gate inch right at one etc. Quickly adds up. Was the boat off or the GPS?

• Baller
Low cost ($1,000) correcting GPS (using a base station) to sub-inch accuracy has become available. I am testing a prototype at the same time as the final camera based system testing in March. Technology is probably still a year or two away but it will get there. Lots of work to do as well to address concerns like @BraceMaker says. But huge benefits over the current system including live feedback to the driver.

• Baller

While we are dreaming, let's just add a remote heads up display on the dash for real-time L-C-R deviation using horizontal LEDs which represent the extent of the deviation and change color to indicate perfect, acceptable, approaching limit, out of tolerance. Something like this:

ynq7n65luj3n.jpg

Could possibly @Splasheye control an external display like that..?

It would have to be easily within the gaze of the driver while the driver keeps his or her eyes on the horizon ahead. The risk will be drivers who are drawn to simply watch the lights and not the actual path of their boat. Thus, a remote display which can be mounted in the best location for each driver would be idea. Possibly suction cup mount so that it can be adjusted for each driver's gaze position and each boat's cockpit/windshield setup.

• Baller
If a deviation measurement exceeds 20 cm it becomes a white value on a black background, pressing the UP key switches over to display the cumulative values, again becoming white on black numbers if the individual cumulative tolerances were exceeded. It had a tournament mode to automatically switch to cumulative mode if any were out of tolerance. It stores in memory the previous 30 passes each time stamped at the entrance gate.

• Baller

I would think a bank of indicator lights like @ToddL mentioned would be too much going on for the driver. Even not looking at it directly would be a distraction for me. I’d rather see a report after the pass.

Boat path deviation is important, and for tournament purposes would be helpful along with the video. But I think, in day to day skiing, being in rhythm with your skier is more safe and important. Maybe Perfect Pass can throw a rope switch on there so you can see boat path deviation in conjunction with counter steer in relation to the skier loading out of the ball.

• Baller

@Orlando76 - tend to agree - I think a readout like that giving you a number at the end of the pass gives you something to go with.

I think my wife would be able to look at that and "challenge" herself to give better numbers.

What @ToddL posted however could be fascinating, particularly since it should build up as you deviated on path.

Even more so - I'd be curious if there would be a way to use that idea in open water, some of our drivers have a tendency to curve which can be hard to tell if you are roughly following a shoreline, have that indicate if the path for the previous 300 feet was straight or mild curve or very curved, maybe with a simple push button to indicate a new heading.

• Baller
Several years ago I was at California pro Am and listening to chatter about Driver-Boat A vs B. Then again last summer I followed the Spain Tournament controversy. Got me thinking that some of this could be avoided if a real time metric for boat path was available. Seems that technology is getting close. Drivers may struggle to make the mark

• Baller
All this stuff is creating more and more cost for local tournaments, not to mention qualified people to donate there time to run the equipment. As it is now to compete you really need a boat with ZO, (cost me a fortune a few years ago), not to mention a private ski lake etc.etc., (possible electric boats). We all would like to see the sport grow but for me if I cant compete it seems useless to enter tournaments with unfamiliar equipment, (mainly compete against myself). I started this sport as a family sport, it was something we could all do and afford after the initial investment, if things keep going the way they are it might be cheaper to go Indy car racing