Foot size and Binding Placement?

jakecuz23

Hey ballers, got a quick question for all you. I have size 14.5 feet and am 6'3 tall. I have found that I ski my best with my front binding all the way forward (30.4 inches) and my back binding 1 hole back from all the way forward. I have a 67 inch VTX with dual XXL Animal bindings. I have got a few at 28 off @36mph, and I am getting better.

Are my bindings actually far forward? When measuring a binding, you measure to the rear of the boot. But the rear of the boot is the same for a person with a size 7 or a size 14. The bigger your feet are the more forward your center is from the heal. Is there a relation to foot size and binding placement?

Will having my bindings that far forward be a disadvantage once I start getting into 32 and 35 off?

• Baller_
Interesting topic; I would assume since your weight is centering down through your core, actual foot length may not be so important - will be interesting to hear what the Denali folks have to say - their physics hurt my brain! BTW have you tried bare footing with those planks?!

• Baller

@jakecuz23 avoid thinking about the holes unfortunately they just dont mean much of anything some bindings you can move the heel part on the plate for more room in the binding.

Some brands make one plate with holes for all the binding sizes etc.

If you like it go with it. You are forwards of factory a good deal so I would consider cutting the holes out into a slot so that you can try sliding back towards factory and see if you really like it or if you like it more a smidge forwards of the previous hole.

• Baller

@jakecuz23

Binding location is highly personal for many reasons ranging from technique through height, weight and foot size. You didn't mention how heavy you are, and weight affects ski size and binding location more than height does. If you are a bit heavy for your ski, ski very forcefully and/or have a small-area fin setup, having your bindings way forward of stock could well be ideal.

But the real answer to your question is another question. How is your ski turning? You're only too far forward if you have to struggle to get the ski to make tight turns or to finish turns with good cross-course angle. When the bindings move forward, the area of the ski's tail increases giving it more support. The fin also gets more leverage against smear the further away from your feet it is. If your ski is turning like a school bus, you may be too far forward (too much traction at the back).

Moving your bindings back reduces tail area, reduces the fin's leverage (moment arm), and increases the surface area of the tip. And when the tip gets more grip and the tail gets less, the tail smears more delivering tighter turns. You've moved too far back when you start getting more than the occasional tip-grab or tail-slide.

People tend to think too much in terms of how binding moves affect the ski's tip attitude. But binding moves have a far greater effect on tail support than on tip behavior. Think "tail support" when moving your bindings.

Thanks for the response @SkiJay

I will look into that and see where my mistakes are coming from. I am 190lbs, so the top of what a 67 VTX is made for. I have a killer onside turn, and my offside is more sketchy. I usually struggle to get the tip to dig in and bite to initiate my offside turns. I have no problem getting the ski to turn on my onside, but I do turn like a "school bus" on my offside.

If you @SkiJay had to pick a setting for me to try with my bindings, what would you recommend?

Thanks!!

• Baller
@jakecuz23, Without video and baseline data, all I can do is guess. But my guess-based recommendation would be to move your bindings back until your offside turns work better. Then you can back off forcing your onside turns with your back foot for symmetry (rear-footing being the most likely reason only your onside is currently working).

• Baller

@jakecuz23 there was some discussion about binding placement in this thread. One comment that stuck out to me was from @Drago where he said:

Your center of balance is your inside ankle bone. I think the average distance from your inside ankle bone to the back of the heel is 2 1/2”. I suggest measuring this distance and changing your original binding placement acccordingly. Saves time.(My ankle is 3” forward of my heel, so I go back 1/2 inch from recommendation, then explain this or just tell anyone that asks I’m at stock)

Of course, you should listen closely to anything that @SkiJay says.