Centurion Carbon Pro Owners

oldmanskier

• Baller

I see tons of information on the current Big 3 Slalom rigs as should be.

I even love all the Big 3 boats and like the way they all look.

If I could afford a new boat every year I would not have an issue with purchasing any of the current Big 3.

I have no issues with any of the Big 3 and did not start this post to down any of the Big 3 or compare against the Carbon Pro.

I wanted to start this post for those of us that still have Centurion CP's and see what CP owners have to say about their boats.

My take on the Centurion CP:

I have a 2014 Centurion CP that I purchased in 2016.

It was used in Southern Regional's as one of the tow boats.

I love my CP.

I 65 years old and at this time 2 to 3 years from retirement.

Unless I win the lottery (my early retirement plan) or something goes terribly wrong with my CP, this will most likely be the last ski boat I will own.

Construction:

I think the CP is one of the best thought out and quality Slalom boats there is.

I have been all thru my CP including taking some of the floors out (I get bored in the winter) just to see quality of construction. In my opinion the CP is a well-made Slalom boat.

Maintenance:

Oil changes, impeller changes and fuel filter changes are easy on the PCM 5.7 Excalibur engine.

The Transmission fluid filter change was a challenge, due to having to remove rubber exhaust manifold hose from engine to shift over to get to the transmission filter location for removal and install of filter.

It has a brass (not plastic) drain plug and I do not have to raise the engine cover to remove or install the drain plug.

Just untwist a cover and remove or install.

Skiing:

The Slalom wake is great for my very arthritic ankle even at 22 off.

I love the ballast system for leveling the boat.

Simple Zero off system (no Massive $3000 computer screen).

Simple key start ignition.

Boat tracks well (in my opinion) once you learn not to over steer it.

Bimini top is very easy for one person to put on and take off and give maximum sun protection.

Great gas mileage.

Great drive on trailer with spare tire and very easy to drive boat on trailer.

Size and weight of boat and trailer make it easy to tow and fits in a normal size garage.

My main ski partner who is now 75, in fantastic shape, one time National 32 mph record holder (not for sure which division) and currently spending 12 weeks in Colorado snow skiing (some guys have it made) has this to say about the CP.

He calls it a "Gentlemans" ski boat.

Small slalom wakes, boat is not too big or two small, Bimini is large and gives lots of protection from the sun and tracks well.

Great for us old guys.

My only con with the CP is the ski plate form seems a bit small. I am used to it now but almost fell of the platform a couple of times when I first got the boat.

• Baller
Agree, and Agree again regarding all of @oldmanskier 's comments. The Carbon Pro was a result of listening to the ideas and comment on this forum. Which brings me to wonder if the three leading tournament boat manufacturers are paying attention to the serious skiers that frequent this blog. Or maybe we are not the dominant segment purchasing the Tournament style boat? If we are then, I don't remember anyone here saying that we want a bigger, heavier boat that requires a bigger heavier engine and a bigger stronger tow vehicle. The Carbon Pro and SN 196 as an example of the opposite. How big will these boat become in time? They are headed in the wrong direction. Disclamier I am a Pro rep for Mastercraft and still own a 2016 CP.

• Baller
Another older skier here. My CP is a 2017 with the 6.0. Wonderful boat. Works well for me, and my wife. Wakes are excellent. Lots of power and relatively fuel efficient. Works ell in the course. I have owned and driven a lot of tournament boats in the last 38 years. I have been involved as an owner with dealerships selling 3 of the top 4 ski boats. They were all good products. I was not involved with Malibu. This CP has been my favorite. I will keep it. I was frankly sorry to see the CP go away after Correct Craft acquired Centurion which had previously acquired Supreme.

• Baller

The trick wake is too small. Decent shape and a good table but just too small. It was my tournament boat of choice the year MC changed their hull (the MC had a tiny wake then, there weren't any to train behind and MC was pulling a high stakes tournament I trained for). So I did get quite a few rides behind it and adapted to it.

For slalom, I liked the small wake. But I never performed well behind the boat. The pull felt really hard and unforgiving. I normally ski at C3 so maybe I needed a different setting to compensate. Too efficient at delivering horsepower to the water? There's more than just a small wake to making a good slalom pull.

I only drove it a couple times but it felt reasonable. Not twitchy and unstable, not heavy and unresponsive. Reasonable.

I did like the boat overall and would consider buying one. I'm sure I could figure out ballasting to get an acceptable trick wake and a slalom feel I like.

Eric

• Administrators

@eleeski

The pull felt really hard and unforgiving. I normally ski at C3 so maybe I needed a different setting to compensate. Too efficient at delivering horsepower to the water? There's more than just a small wake to making a good slalom pull.

5ad604587aa720590eabe08f_office-space-me

• Administrators
@eleeski saying the slalom pull is harsh but running the most aggressive setting possible.... having had four different Carbon Pros I can tell you the pull is not radical or harsh in any way at any setting.

• Baller

@Horton At least I collected another caricature award. Pandas, wingnuts and now Office Space, I am the GOAT at collecting these.

Note that I did say I needed to try a different setting. Or are you saying that all ZO settings are identical behind all boats?

Eric

• Baller

The CP is a fighting 2800 lbs. and the power to water is very efficient. When I train with it I use a C1 setting. When I go to tournaments and ski behind the bigger heavier boats I ski C2 just to feel near the same consistent pull. To say it is a harsh pull is perhaps not the word I would use. It, to me is a very consistent. The Pro Star pull is very close to the same feel through the wakes. If there is a modern day upgrade to the CP, it is the PS.

PS please recall my previous disclaimer. Cheers.

• Baller

I've got an '04 MC 197 and half interest in a '14 Carbon Pro. Different lakes, and don't want to haul them between.

Nothing really to add to what @oldmanskier said regarding the Carbon Pro; easy to drive and tracks well, small slalom wake and just enough space to haul everything as a tug boat. As with most inboards, easy for routine maintenance.

Trick wake small, but a flat table. Wake trick gets more practice behind the MC 197.

I'd like to upgrade my '04 MC 197 to a Zero Off boat rather than Perfect Pass. I'd consider myself to be a bit loyal to MC; previous boat was an '89 MC Prostar. Current hull MC Prostars are too expensive from my value perspective, even for well-used. So I'd prefer another Cabon Pro, but now that they ceased to be made, seems it'll kill their potential resale value. Brendella, Tige or Supra anyone? So I feel a bit stuck. Which very likely means I'll run another year with what I've got...

Bongo

• Baller

Thanks for all the comments.

I do not trick or jump so I cannot comment on those behind the CP.

As for the Big 3, I like all of them and if I could afford a new boat every year I would be honored to own any of them.

But as an old man with bad ankles, still trying to ski as much as possible and have a normal size garage for storing my boat in the winter, the CP is perfect for me.

I would love to have a 6.0 engine in my CP just for the adrenaline rush driving the boat.

But for slalom the 5.7 in my CP is plenty strong.

Good to hear comments on the CP again even if it is no longer being produced.

Once again thanks for all the comments.

oldmanskier

• Baller
A comment on harsh pull...my regular ski partner has skied for several seasons using B1+ with a 196's and 200's (this was before the newest revision). Another guy bought a CP at our lake my ski pard got a pull behind it and went with his normal B1+. It just whipped him. Could not ski + setting with the CP.

• Baller
I own one CP, and have a partial interest in 2 more we have at our club lake. I love these boats and was super bummed when the decision was made to put the program on hold. When it’s time, we will probably put new drivetrains in the 2 at the club lake and keep running them. Nothing against the big three, but we love the CP and would save a ton of money. We run 600hrs a year so even rolling into a promo costs a lot.