Presenting - WhisperFin #1

SkiJay

• Baller

ge88xbtrklux.jpg

Just some of the 1st batch of WhisperFins

on their way to a dock near you :)

The good news is the first batch of WhisperFins has arrived and will be shipped to customers immediately. The bad news is the first batch sold out weeks ago. Fortunately, the second batch is only 2 – 3 weeks away. Backorders are filled in the order they are received. So the quickest way to get one of these is to get in the cue with a pre-order at: https://FinWhispering.com. We should be all caught up within a month.

Thank you for your patience guys!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@SkiJay...Really looking forward to it....I think for your next project you should come up with a bolt on version of Micro Tuners for the 200, to eliminate the trough, and make the wake more like the new SN. There would be a big market for that, including me.

• Baller
@Wish, After my wife has driven for me and toweled off the boat, made breakfast, edited my next blog post and packed a few books; she's going to sort through backorder details, assemble fin kits, stuff envelopes and print labels o:)

• Baller

Update on fin settings. 67" Goode XTR, RFF Fluid Motion Evo with RTP. Binding at 29 5/16 and wing at 7 degrees. About 20 sets into the season, started with the Whisper Fin.

I am migrating further away from the tail based on my familiarity with the what the ski is doing and muscle memory returning after the off season (you'll have to read my previous post for how we landed on the following set up.)

Original set up:

L=5.745(tips)

D=2.530

DFT=1.74(flat/head)

Adjusted Today (L and D stayed the same):

New DFT=1.75(flat/head)

I think this is a result of getting back my balance point on the ski and remembering where to stand and when I can push on it.

• Baller

The first batch of WhisperFins is on its way; let the fun begin!

If you've placed an order but haven't yet received a shipping notice (check your spam folder), your order will likely be filled in the next batch within three weeks. Thank you for your enthusiasm, support and patience.

The ski-tuning kit assembly line: the epitome of a kitchen table, mom & pop, cottage industry.ivmclxn7td9k.jpg

• Baller

For those receiving their fins, don't throw out these WhisperFin-specific ski-tuning instructions by accident. They are on a waterproof crease-proof card that should survive in the wettest gnarliest ski bag for a long long time. You may want to keep it for future reference.

w75t84iwc8uf.jpg

• Baller
@waterskicorey, your fin will be shipped before Friday. This second batch of fins will cover more than half of the backorders, and about 10 days later, the third batch should cover most, if not all, remaining backorders.

• Baller
@Scaramanga I've only skied in seven tournaments, and none in about a decade. I raced cars and motorcycles for forty years and just don't enjoy the stress of competition anymore. I love working on my technique, and it's the best it's ever been, easily good enough to ski well into 38. But at 62, I'm nursing injuries that are easily aggravated. So maximum enjoyment for me is skiing for fun, fitness and learning. A set full of stylishly stroked 28s and 32s that proves out a design or setup theory is bliss. That I regularly get to test these concepts on many of the best skiers in the world is its own thrill. And applying these things to help skiers run more balls at all levels fills a need to contribute. I'm a very happy skier in the autumn of my athleticism. And trying to maximize my ball count by taking risks and skiing to failure every day just undermines this whole joyful program.

• Baller

@SkiJay

I know the first few shipments have only gone out but do you anticipate making 2 versions of this fin?

A, let’s call it, “Pro” version cut from billet and coated as it is and an average “Joe” version made from aluminum sheet and just anodized.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the cost for the “Joe” version could be cut down to the $150-$200 range?

• Baller

Regarding Backorders

My sincere apologies for the slow pace of deliveries so far. Building these fins is a multi-step process, and every one of those steps got held up by an unexpected upturn in Calgary's oil industry this January. The various shops understand the importance of getting these fins out for the start of the season, and two of them have literally put on 24 hour shifts, to get more WhisperFins ready for me to bring back to Florida this weekend. I think most, if not all, of the current backorders will be shipped by the end of next week.

• Baller

Any suggestions as far as just go with the set up guidelines or using the numbers on the WF site? I’m running a 66 Vapor probuild. I see numbers for my ski but wondering if I should just toss it on and experiment with my own numbers.

Also was thinking of waiting another 2 weeks for water to warm up. I’ve been skiing preseason in Orlando and getting back into the groove. Skied today for first time in northeast in 59-60 deg water and was completely out of sorts. Was vastly different hence contemplating the wait.

• Baller

@C5Quest .... Go read my review I just posted on the Review Thread. This was only my 2nd set and made my first setup change, and it went from School Bus to F1 Race Car. The ski was so quick and ahead of me, felt like I left my brain on the dock.