Presenting - WhisperFin #1

SkiJay

• Baller

Up until now, every WhisperFin in existence has been hand made by yours truly. This is a photo of the first fully manufactured fin to pass a long list of quality controls. Full production will start on Monday. It will take approximately two weeks for the first run to be complete, followed by shipping to Florida for packaging and at long last, distribution.

Laser-Marked-WhisperFin.jpg

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Wow! Congratulations @SkiJay ! That's quite an accomplishment! How exciting it must be to see all the effort and vision you've put into this dream come to fruition. I'm sure it's going to be a game changer in the slalom world. I can't wait to hear the reviews and accolades that come in as more and more people get to try your revolutionary new fin out. Let the adventure begin! <3

• Baller
The production fin pictured above ran 39 off the dock at 36 mph today, then ran three more 39s @ 36, back-to-back, then 3.5@41 in the same long set. This, the first time the skier tried it on a ski I had to guesstimate a rough setup for :)

• Baller

@Zman

The CG fin is a big step in the right direction for turnability in both directions, and it’s angled holes generate rolling and turning forces designed to favour turns in one direction over the other. The WhisperFin is a symmetrical design that is a bit more nimble again due to its smaller size and forward placement. But the most noticeable difference will be acceleration. The WhisperFin’s turbulation slots generate noticeably less drag than holes, enough to justify a significant investment in a full patent application. And enough that a pro recently commented that it makes his deep-riding turning ski accelerate like a speed-biased ski.

• Baller
@SkiJay me again, especially I basically ski on a open water lake and it is rarely calm.....because I am thinking that I might have a better and stable traction with a longer and deeper fin than yours.....and maybe not at all....I don't know and if you have some answers......I would really apreciate and thank you too (love your book by the way)

• Baller

Good question @chris55. Working on your skills and technique will always return the most improvement. But it's better to work on your technique with a ski that's your dance partner than with a wrestling opponent.

While this fin was initially designed to improve performance for shortline tournament skiers, a happy surprise was how much it helped novices. Of our 47 test skiers, the novices showed the most dramatic improvement with most of them setting personal bests within two sets. This is because the standard fin is actually too big and too stable.

Even though this fin helps skis turns easier, nobody yet has made any reference to it being "unstable," and it's been tested in 37° to 95° water, by skiers of ALL levels, on nearly all brands of skis, and in calm and whitecapping water. If you are skiing in a course, a ski that turns easier and accelerates more quickly is going to help—regardless of the stage you are at.

@SkiJay You have mentioned in another thread (whisperFin unboxing), that you have a solution for asymmetrical smear - did you post this somewhere or when do you plan to share your secret? :)

Thanks for a super book and a lot of good information on your web.

• Baller

The WhisperFin would be cheaper to produce if cut from aluminum sheets where thickness can vary up to .006”. This interesting photo shows how fins are being precision-milled out of billet aluminum for maximum consistency, strength and durability.

Milling-WhisperFins-sml.jpg

• Baller

@CBR51

It would sure be interesting to know how Wayne arrived at his shape; if it was somewhat random or through a lot of testing. Steve Schnitz came up with a similar outline at one point too. I started with a clean sheet and tried every shape imaginable. A year-long process of elimination identified this profile as providing the most power, stability and roll-feedback for its size.

• Baller

@S1Pitts – As in the hot little one-hole aerobatic biplane? VERY cool if so ?

As you can see below, there's no fully universal top profile, though I’ve designed the WhisperFin to fit nearly all of today's most popular skis. If it's listed on the website, I've had the fin in that ski. I know that at least one of the earlier Denali’s is completely off the beaten path. But if you send me a scan of your fin, I should be able to let you know if it will work. And if you get a fin that doesn’t fit, you can return it for a refund.

wzxbs3t9gzwr.png

• Baller

@BraceMaker

Some of the more powerful test skiers were aware of the sheet metal prototypes flexing too much. And while .006 doesn't sound like much, it can be 8% of the Radar fin's thickness—that's a lot. And if you spec thicker sheet metal, the thick areas of the sheet won't move in Radar's tight fin blocks. Milling the parts from higher grade aluminum tightened up the thickness variations, and reduced flex significantly.

@JAS

This fin is no more immune to fin adjustments than any other fin. I'm making a big deal out of setup instructions that don't require calipers for the legions of skiers out there who don't have a caliper. It's pretty cool that anyone should be able to self-tune their way to a great setup with no special tools. For those of us with calipers, .003 still makes a difference.

• Members
@SkiJay , I was thinking along the lines of behavioral changes, to either of those 3 models. I guess ARC/EVO are pretty similar ski types, but NRG has more aggressive tunnel. So, does the fin change tip sensitivity or stability in either of those?

• Baller

@musclefixer

It depends on how you set it up. You can have more tip sensitivity than with the standard fin, or less, depending on how far forward and/or how deep you set it (both LE and FD affect tip sensitivity). The same goes for roll resistance with depth and fin-related stability with fin area. I had an elite skier say the WhisperFin made his NRG ski like his Vapor. I'm pretty sure what he meant was that he got more speed from the same amount of effort on his NRG and that it turned easier too. But one thing that won't change is the fundamental stability associated D3's deep ride. Changing to the Whisperfin won't have any effect on how deep a ski rides.

• Baller

Hi @Ryota

Normally, shipping to Japan costs about $22, because I subsidize overseas shipping by $10. But your money is no good here, Ryota, because of your contribution of this award-winning photo of Matteo Luzzeri, @Luzz, for the cover of Fin Whispering. Thank you again!

93vzg6yx0mcs.jpg

• Baller

@""Fehlindra "

The fins are now being hardened and the first batch will be in for ceramic coating on Monday. Shipping is still a couple of weeks out ... sigh ....

@Wish, I'm not aware of anyone having changed their ZO settings yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's some of that as people get dialed in.

• Baller

Just skied with @SkiJay

What a nice guy! Tried the whisper fin on my EVO. So fast! And plenty of holding power.

Thanks for setting it up for me!!

Can’t wait for spring. This fin has big potential.

I’m rusty and this was the first set since September but I could immediately feel an improvement over the stock fin as well as the CG fin. Super fast with smooth tip down turns. Now I just need to work on me.