Bang For Your Buck Performance Gains

ozski

• Baller

We all want to improve so where is the best place to spend your money to increase your buoy count?

Coaching lessons - $60 - $90 a set and more often than not good value and you always come away with something to focus on. Even if you go backwards to move forward.

Equipment - New ski - $1500 upwards - Getting a new ski is nice but it does not always mean better skiing, it does not hurt to skip a year here and there. $1500 = a lot of coaching

Equipment - New boots - $300 upwards - Boots and the way they are setup can have a big impact on how you ski and safety so investing in the best setup you can afford is a no brainer.

Equipment - Denali CG Fin - $150 - Possibly the best investment to performance gain in dollar terms going around right now for shortline skiers.

Equipment - New Boat - $100,000 ish - Nothing to see here sorry

Physical Conditioning - $0 - very little - For some skiers getting in shape and dropping some weight will deliver a significant gain at a low cost. Do it.

Private Lake - Good training conditions help a lot, a private lake is a sound investment and a must have. :)

Beer - It helps you forget the money you wasted so whilst not actually a performance gain it can help reset your brain after a bad day at the lake and some of us need that.

• Baller
Coaching only works if you get the right coach AND have the focus and discipline to reinforce it before you get distracted by the next shiny object on BOS, your ski crew, or wherever else. One second you’re focusing on the gate from your coaching session and then somebody posts about stack or counter rotation and you wonder why you lost another season of progress come fall.

• Baller

Listening to or reading the posts of skiers at or above your level. They may say stuff in different ways...and sooner or later something sticks to the wall and a light bulb goes off. After that it's water time...and that's fun.

This forum is free, and I've found more than a ton of good theory on it.

• Administrators

Wise guidance, professional or not, is needed by most skiers I know. Unwise guidance, free or not, is on every dock, in every boat and easy to find in this forum*.

Good advice is the best ROI possible.

*makes me sad

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators
@Bruce_Butterfield lighter and leaner is definitely better but that one buoy for every 5 lb rule is something somebody just made up. I mean I guess it's a good aspirational message but it's about as accurate as a horoscope.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
@ozski: Not a significant item, but a reasonably fresh rope feels much better than one that is stiff and perhaps a more comfortable handle can help. On the boat side, optimizing wake performance via proper weight balance and leaving excess stuff on the dock can help. If an older boat, you can do some mods to improve the wake or even go the ZO update route.

• Baller

Video continues to be both a good learning tool, and reason to drink.

Should have done this more a lot sooner since I usually only ski with one other.

Lately, even when I feel like my skiing was kinda good, video shows a lot of garbage going on.

And, since I'm using a pylon mount, my slack on 2 and 4 is horribly evident. No camera shake 1,3 and 5. But, I bang it bad on 2,4. And, I'm RFF.

So, during this cool season, I'm working on tight line for onside turns. Proof will be no camera shake on both sides.