Low-hour '17 Prostar vs. new '19 Prostar

Jboss

• Baller

Hello,

I am looking at a 60-hour '17 Prostar and comparing it to ordering a new '19. The configs of the two boats are identical. The '17 is in immaculate condition and has three years of warranty left. My negotiated price difference is $16K between the two boats. I would like to know if the group here sees $16K as a reasonable difference. I am not familiar with the depreciation curve of the Prostar and would love to know what you all think. Also, are there any material differences between the '17 and the '19 that I should be made aware of? I have not found any in my research.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim

• Baller

The 19 will have new vinyl, Odessa.

If the 17 has the options you want (you mention identical vs new) and colors you either like or can tolerate, I’d go for that.

Only reason to get the 19 would be to pick your own colors or longer warranty by a bit.

• Baller
Thank you for your feedback, everyone. I appreciate it. @Dacon62 What is the purpose of the turned-down exhaust? Love the look but what about functionality? @MarkTimm Thank you for the comparison listing. It's a good one. Decisions decisions decisions. :)

• Baller

@Jboss I only have a comparison of my old ‘13 TXi with reg flappers vs my friends ‘14 TXi with the SS turned down exhaust as a reference.

Both had the Indmar 350HP motor.

My friends boat was quieter at all RPMs. Still sounded good but took the edge off the sound. Mine was more brappy. Anyways, I love the rumble of a V8 but his was less annoying, you never need to replace a flapper and it looks better.

• Baller

I was in the same situation as you last September and I bought a '17 Prostar. I think it just boils down to this. Are you willing to take an appoximately 12k hit in the first year to have a brand new boat?

It wasn't worth it to me right now. In a few years it might be. It just depends on your situation.

• Baller

I remember when Malibu put SS downturn exhausts on their Responses and the boats actually became louder than with the flippers at speed .

Can't deny the look is great but of course that's only improved when on a trailer or lift .

@Jboss you can't go wrong with either Prostar, it just depends on how long you plan to have the boat, annual usage, etc. I would lean toward the 17 . FWIW Rumor has it this is the last year for a 5.7L ProStar.

• Baller
FYI, if you buy the '17, you have 14 days to get the warranty transfer docs sent in, and don't forget to include the $500 fee. This is assuming you're buying from the original owner, as the warranty can only be transferred once (at 60 hours I'm guessing original owner).