If Mapple had been born 30 years later, would he be kicking Nate’s ass?

Horton

• Administrators

if Mapple had been born 30 years later, would he be kicking Nate’s ass, making Nate the modern equivalent of Wade Cox?

NOTE: I can not take credit for this poll. the question comes from my text messages this morning.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_

This is a very tough call. I think that Nate has better technique than Andy had, but Andy had one hell of a work ethic and a strong drive to succeed. I don’t know anything about Nate’s off water training and so I can’t comment on it. I know that Andy was a beast in the gym and on a bike, so his body was always physically well prepared. He was also at the beginning a strong three eventer and tricked between 4 and 5000 in the 2014 Senior Worlds.

Andy also has a deep knowledge of technique and equipment, which would be an edge, but if you take Andy and Nate both at 27 or 28, maybe Nate is on par with Andy.

A side note, one of my favorite skiing pictures is from somewhere around 2013. Nate and Andy had both been eliminated at Moomba and together were manning the safety boat.

Lpskier

• Baller

Sexy thread title. Draws you in. I was just thinking that in reality, the term "kicking ass" is probably aggressive, regardless who might theoretically come out on top, when talking a 1/4 or 1/2 a ball at such a difficult task as 43 off. Anyway, it certainly would have been fun to watch two of the best go head to head in their primes. Doesn't seem to happen too often in any sport.

• Baller

Nate has more 41's in tourneys than all other skiers combined...think about how many he has in practice to add to that...really freakish. Andy would be right there with him in his physical prime on modern equipment and ZO. Too close to call.

Probably some pro's who have skied with both may have a better opinion, but not want to share it.

• Baller
Nate has lifted the bar and with all due respect to AM the data alone tells the story. Nate is anything but big and strong, he's light and fast side to side - faster than anyone and that allows him to do what he does. As good as Andy was he was a different type of skier and that type of skier is less effective today as things stand with bigger HP and modern speed control.

• Baller_
Andys passes looked diff in that you could tell the diff between 32 off and 39. No one stood on the shore wondering which length it was. No one ever scratched their head and wondered how he got it done at extreme shortline. No one questioned whether or not Andy did off season training. The nod would go to Nate just because all of those are in play. Efficiency is key.

• Baller

Mapple & Nate would both unsettle other skiers when they were on site, they know they have to bring their "A" game.

However as stated I think Andy Mapples ability to apply pressure mentally and phisically put it all out there, would just put him in front of Nate.

What a spectacle that would have been, Nate & Mapple at their peak in a Head to Head

• Baller

Very true, but Nate's competition hasn't exactly been soft.

I agree with @Wish, I don't think anyone has ever made it look easier than Nate. He's so fluid at all lengths. Maybe that's why some say Am had the grit and determination to round that next ball versus Nate? He just doesn't really appear to have to grit out his passes, visually anyway. Those 2 head to head would've been a sight to behold for sure.

• Baller_
Site conditions is something I had not thought of. Nod for sure goes to Andy if conditions are well below par. Andy competed in horrible conditions with the pro tour in its hay days. Nate has and is mostly used to ideal condition.

• Administrators
@wish I could not disagree with you more. I'm pretty sure Nate has the site record both at Moomba and at the Masters. I don't know that he handles bad conditions better than Andy did but to say that Nate is a smooth water skier is a bit silly.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Nate has taken slalom to a new level. He turns faster, creates more speed and angle than anyone. That said, was in the safety boat at the 2004 worlds at Swiss. Pretty strong head tail in the slalom finals. Every skier ran 39 head to get 1 or two at 41 tail. Not Andy. He ran 32, opted up to TAIL 39 and crushed it wanting a head 41 for the win. Unfortunately, as he went to 1 ball @ 41 a huge head wind came down the lake at caught him at 1 ball. To this day, I have never seen a better example of steely nerves, confidence, strategy and execution in slalom. ( and he did it on a new ski as he had broken his primary ski the day before in practice.) Having witnessed that, I give the edge to Mapple.

• Baller_
@horton depends on what you call rough conditions. There's no tour that puts skiers on public waters/rivers in front of crowds like the beer tours did. Those guys delt with rollers, backwash, wind and the like weekend after weekend. That simply does not happen these days. To point out 2 tournaments that have been in existence and skid a ton by both to me is silly. If conditions suck and Andy gets all that experience and is young, he gets the nod in my book cause he had to all the time.

• Baller_

@david_ski Off topic?

@Horton @Wish Who won the stop when someone had the great idea of skiing on Lake Michigan/Navy Pier in Chicago? Whoever that was probably gets the nod for best crap water conditions skier of all time.

Lpskier

• Baller

Great question.

In his early 50s, Mapple could still cruise through 41 at 36mph. If he had he same equipment 25 years earlier what would he have run? Let’s say Andy could run 1@43 at the age of 50ish. How many bouys would Andy add if he were Nate’s age?

• Baller
Remington or Winchester, you pick. I’m sort of glad they came to our sport at different times. The both have offered so much. Buoy count alone seems to be a soft metric considering how much change in the sport. The record seems to have hit the wall since skiers broke into 43. Are these 1/4 - :)1/2 bouy differences really a difference in skier, or ski/fin. Don’t know. Consistency is looking like new Bar. I call it a tie :)

• Administrators
@liquid d I would like to see the win percentage. As @6balls said without Andy - Wade would have won everything. Kind of like without Regina - Whitney would currently run the table most of the time for the ladies.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Wish Just such a hard thing to compare.

growing up it seemed that Andy Mapple had a job as a professional skier. Nate seems to be the best skier in a world where it doesnt seem like he has a job.

I always viewed it as mapple having a full plate, family, competition, engineer, skier. But I have no real concept of Nate doing anything other than skiing and seems like less often?

In other words will a 50 yo Nate Smith look like vs Andy.