Who is the greatest underrated skier in the modern era?

Horton

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
George was a bit early to fit Horton’s definition, but fits the underrated/under appreciated definition. I believe he won two world overall titles but what I liked best about him was that he competed in jumping at the worlds wearing cutoff jean shorts and a life vest, no wetsuit, certainly no jump suit, no helmet, just out there skiing.

• Baller

Ise ran tail 39s in the early 90s (@36). Thing is ,though, only @ okeeheelee.

(^ I'm having problems with the underrated definition. Does that mean they were great skiers but couldn't get er done @ tournaments? Or never entered pro tours?)

@Rich Thank you so much for that photo. Leroy was my uncle! I grew up on bethel island and every single day we would be out on the water for at least 2 hours. From fishing to wake boarding we did it all. Unfortunately lee passed away in 2014 while skiing up in Tahoe. He had an aneurysm. But he passed doing what he loved!! He was THE best skier in the world at the time. He still holds world records to this day. My uncle. Leroy Burnett.

• Baller_

Dr. Mike Morgan comes to mind.

still skiing ( mostly slalom these days) on the top end of masters men and men 5. up until a couple years ago was skiing open slalom.

he claims trick and jump are in the past however men 6 is coming up and national records are out their in his wheel house.

in the days when him and Chuck Forrest were battling it out in the slalom course Dr. Mike was also jumping far and tricking high scores in men 3 and 4.

Underrated ? No. we all know when Dr. Mike is in your division your probably going to take second place....

• Baller
Good point, Jody. When Dr. Michaels finally got the boot, Dr. Morgan's records were restored (pretty sure it was that sequence). Anyway, for several years Mike held the record for EACH discipline in Men3. Rather stout.