Who is the greatest underrated skier in the modern era?

Horton

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Of course a bit of Euro bias, but I have never seen the name of Brando Caruso around here. Dude was top seed at Open Worlds after prelims, consistent threat at pro events, 2018 average of 4@41, several medals at youth worlds and euros. IMHO, the next person to run 41 off

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
I don't know if underrated is the right word (and in the early days it was more of an overall story than slalom-specific), but Mike Morgan seems to have spent decades just under the radar. And made the gutsy decision to keep skiing @ 36 long after the rules said he could move down to 34.

• Baller
You are mucho correct, andjules, concerning Mike Morgan. Dr. Morgan held the slalom record for years in Men3. Oh, by the way, he also held the jump record in Men3. Oh, and by the way, he also held the trick record in Men3. Mind you, this is a medical doctor in a professional career, raising a family, who just happens to own the record scores, simultaneously, in all 3 events. Let's talk about conversation in the GOAT realm, in addition to the underrated category.

• Baller
@ Pat M & @ Bruce_Butterfield +3 for Dave Spencer. only coaching at a ski school I ever got, Dave was and excellent coach and a great 3 event skier. He held the records for M1 Slalom, Trick and Jump for NY state for many years. For reasons unknown by me, Dave pretty much gave up tournament skiing in his late 20s but ran the ski school for many years afterwards.

• Baller
So many great champions who were experts in 3+ events like show, foot, race and adaptive skiers. ++ for David Spencer - 1977 Mens 1 National Overall Champ. Along with his father Jud who was also a long time champion and record holder, the Spencers brought the first true man made tournament site to the Northeast and were both great coaches and ambassadors of the sport for many years.

• Baller

@AdamCord Fabio was so clutch, won a couple of Euros and placed at Pro Tour stops. And yes, as @drew said, Matteo would have been some kind of Nate phenomenon. Age 18, the guy skied 3@41 over 10 times in tournament and won Princes. Not to say he's the only guy that could do it, but Matteo is the only one I have witnessed running back to back 41s in 2004.

Also, I guess I didn't read the post very well. It says "modern era", but for some reason I thought current skiers :D

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

I went to Jack Travers in the early 1980's and saw Eddie Detedler (not for sure how to spell) from (I think Belgium) run 38 off from the boat.

First time I had seen someone run 38 off at 36 mph from the boat.

I think he held the world Slalom record at one time but not for sure.

oldmanskier

• Baller
@gapullin I used to think the height disadvantage was huge; then I realized Regina Jaquess is 5'4", which means either a) it's not that big a deal, b) Regina is way more talented than we give her credit for (and we give her a lot of credit), or c) maybe things would look different if we measured height + reach/wingspan… in reality it's probably a combo of b) & c), or perhaps all three.