Pay per Pass in Arizona or southwest area

dbaconaz

• Baller
@scotchipman when was the last time you asked? I am trying to contact dave via his gmail account. The website has no new info since 2017. Also a baller had a house for sale on buchli lake that I guess was sold several years ago. He has since left the skiing scene. Anybody got contact info for Dave?

• Baller
Thank you @dbaconaz and @SusanT . I know about Ed and firebird lake. If i am in Chandler I will be 5 miles from both Firebird and Crystal point, 12 miles from Santan and 25 from Buchli. Daves lake looks more like what I am use to (rural). Just trying to get info.

• Baller
$50-75 is ridiculous. You want to help or get people in the sport and that isn’t the way to do it. If you want to charge gas money that is fine, but boat costs? If people come to our lake I just pull them, if they want to chip in that is up to them. I just enjoy helping other ballers with their addiction.

• Baller
@scotchipman - if you look closely at my offer, the $20/set is an off season rate valid November through March. Average water temp during those months are probably around 32.2 degrees F, with the majoirity of those months frozen solid Pulling a friend or ski buddy is totally different then pulling a complete stranger. I think Daves offer of $50/set is completely reasonable. If you want to make it consistent and get to know him and are not a complete a hole, then I would be willing to bet you could work out a friends and family deal. When I skied with @Horton he was very fair, but I would have paid a lot more to get him to stop talking so much...

• Baller

Buy land, dig a lake, build the infrastructure, buy a 75k plus boat, pump water into the lake (continuously), do the landscaping, dye the water, keep the docks in good shape, mow the grass, put hours on said boat, take time off doing what ever work you do to afford all that so you can drive someone you don't even know, THEN take on the liability of pulling someone for money.

Yeah, I'd say $50 is fair.

• Baller

I have skied all around the country with other Ballers and also at ski schools. I have always found the people that step up and offer to take time out of their lives to drag me through the course are great. Everywhere that I have skied I have always been very grateful and did not care about the price. It was the experience and the realization that there are also others as addicted to this crazy fun sport as me. Even the ski schools I go to are still a great deal since it is the getting there and the hotel costs that are the primary expense. The coaching is always worth way over the actual price of the set in these situations. I have skied a couple of times with @Horton and besides me being an enigma to him (why the hell do I ski so badly) he has always been a fantastic host. if any of you are in the Pueblo area I will pull you for free as I am paying it forward. As for the original thread I now have a couple of contacts in the Phoenix area that have offered to let me ski if time permits. This is one of the reasons I am a part of Ball of Spray. Wishing everyone a great 2019 season. Thanks to the OP for posting and sorry it became a discussion on what a set should be. BTW if you just want to try skiing a course for the first time your probably not here on Ball of Spray looking for a ski pull but if your near Pueblo and the water is not solid ping me.

@scotchipman I have to get out your way this summer.

• Baller

@jcamp well said. I shake my head sometimes when people complain about the cost of rides. The true cost can be so much higher than $20 or $50 a set, depending on the site/situation.

Not in response to @jcamp: But on the other hand, for me, my commitment to boat and the private site is sunk and I would have to pull a lot of pricey guest rides to make a dent in the true cost. So instead, I write it off and there is some element of pay it forward. That said, please don’t bitch about $25 a ride! Show up, have fun and help out and you are welcome back.