Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Changr to RTP?

Trip313

I am just starting to get back into slalom course skiing after a couple decides absence. I bought a HO CX Superlite with double high wrap boots. I am considering going to a RTP as I am finding I am lifting my rear heel as I ski.

I am posting here to hopefully get some feedback on making this change (good or bad idea, etc.) and to find out which manufacture people believe have the best RTP (foot stays in). Over the years there have always been top skiers who were able to ski with a RTP so I figure I just need to get one which will keep my foot to stay in place.

Thanks in advance for the input.

• Baller
The main reason to go to a RTP is so you can lift your rear heel making it easier to get your center of mass forward on the ski. I tried it last year and couldn't make the transition. I ski double boots but leave the rear boot a little loose allowing me to raise my rear heel just a bit. Works for me.

• Baller

I'm not clear from your post how much "mileage" you have in double-boots. If that has been your foundation, then you most likely will find a true RTP to be a radically different experience. After about 20 years of double-boot, I spent about a year one time in a big experiment with RTP. It literally took 4 sets (not passes; sets) to run my opening pass.

It was very interesting and I learned a lot about how skis work, body mechanics, my technique flaws, etc., but it was obvious very early on that it would be a lonnng road for me to reach the point where RTP was "just the way I ski." If there were any theoretical performance gains to be had, they would be years away.

(Just my own experience. People with actual athleticism may have a very different time of it.)

If I revisit this in a future season, it will probably be with something like the Radar "R" rather than a true RTP.

I have been with double high wrap boots for over 20 yrs. Back in the early '90s I was running into 32' off with the double boots. Sounds like changing to a RTP is too much of a change. I'll have to try to lose laces.

Thank you for the input.

• Members
Have you considered a hybrid rear toe plate? That may be an easier transition. I went from double boots to a Radar HRT - tried that for one season and then switched to a Reflex hard shell with their R Style rear. I have been on that set up for the past two seasons, really like it and have no plans to change.

• Baller_
My Animals are a rear lace up and leaving the laces loose just allows my heel to come up easier (and gives me more peace of mind that the binding will release in a fall) but I have no sensation of my foot shifting in the boot. This year's Animal's have eliminated the rear lace. I did not like the XMAX boots when I tried them.

• Baller

I'm a proponent of the RTP. I say give it a shot.

With that said, I don't like thick padded plates. I use non-skid straight to the plate.

Wiley's plates are hard to beat. They come with a thin rubber pad that's not bad at all.