What's your favorite ski brand and why?

WideManiv

• Baller_
Think more in terms of skiers level of skill, where you ski, what you ski behind and get back to us. Brand means very little compared to what the ski is designed to do be it beginner, intermediate, advanced or pro. All companies have varied levels of skis related to skill.

• Baller
Depends on the year and as mentioned, skill level. Radar has best customer service hands down. Sometimes Radar has a great ski for me, then some years not so. D3 makes a great consistant and forgiving ski but up until the 2018 D3 NRG the D3 skis just hadn’t worked well for me. Radar is the only manufacturer that comes to my mind that makes a great effort in the intermediate skier.

• Baller

@WideManiv based on how you opened this thread it looks like you will be making a purchase without taking the opportunity try a few different skis. All of the ski manufacturers have great options that perform well, you almost cannot go wrong when at your level(s) with any brand. I’ve seen and experienced good customer service from Radar, HO and Connolly. They each have their own way but no negatives.

Will you and your girlfriend go to a local shop for the purchase? If yes, I would follow what @gsm_peter said and choose bindings you are comfortable with then go with a ski of that manufacturer. There are some cross brand compatibility but it’s easier at your level to have a matching ski and binding manufacturer. Bindings you are not comfortable with can ruin what could be a great ski.

After that, ski, ski, ski! Nothing better than time on the water with people you care about.

• Baller
2018 D3 EVO Over the years had lot's of other brands. But always found myself back on a D3. Custom, Z7-ST, Fusion, Quest and now a EVO. And all the skis I've use since the D3 Custom have been with D3 leverage boots. Great ski, great company service and never had one break or wear out.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
As essentially beginners I would go used on Ski it again . Some GREAT skis there for little money that will give you great experience and not break the bank . All those mentioned are great brands . I’m an HO guy but have been flirting with Radar and D3 as well. Get started as you’ll go through multiple skis the more you ski. Owning different skis is half the fun

• Baller
From what I've seen on here HO, Connelly, and Radar all have good customer service. I personally had great experiences with HO. They did an awesome job making a small manufacturer defect on some bindings right. Helps that I like the Omni. If you can't demo skies then all you can do is pick one and roll with it (there are still some sales on 2018s depending on your size). All three companies make great skies for the beginner to intermediate level.

• Baller

For me at a an early stage in your skiing life I would find out what local support you have and go with that brand. If there is a local pro that rides a particular brand or even a good pro shop. Someone that can help you setup the ski and tune it is helpful. What part of the world are you in?

For me it's Radar. Have skied other brands and always go back to radar.

• Baller
For me it is HO hands down. The customer service simply cannot be beat by anyone. From skis, to ropes to anything they make, they stand behind it 100%. And if I were you I would take a close look at the Omni.

• Baller

Radar.

Very well detailed differences of each model and construction of skis, and what to expect from each. Easy to shop and compare for skill level.

Great marketing.

Awesome pre sale and after sale service/support.

I'm on my 5th Radar ski, wife has a radar and both kids on radars. We're a radar supporting family!

• Baller
This thread is like Chevy versus Ford or Honda versus Toyota. It's really interesting to read how some think a brand is so much better than the others, not by year but for many years. I wonder how many here that say they like one brand so much better than another have tested the current Omni, Senate, and V models?

• Baller
I have found HO has great customer service and support, as well as great products. @savaiusini and all the guys at the top of the HO Team are really committed to producing a great product, as well as pushing the tech and design of the sport forward. I can say that you wouldn't be disappointed in going HO.

There is no right answer. The best thing is to find a ski that fits your skill level and price range. Ski-it-again.com is a great place to find a deal on a used ski. Read forums and figure out what ski is good for you. HO CX/TX, HO Omni, and Radar Senate are some common skis that are great for beginners/intermediates. If you are a short-line skier, An HO A-series (A3 in particular) is also a great ski. Do your research and gets whats best for you!

• Baller

@JBB hinge tech was something connelly introduced mid 2000s where you have a lever behind the heel that when flipped down makes getting into the boot easier.

I dont think they have had it on a slalom binding for a long while. And it's only on wake bindings for kids now.

• Baller

@Golfguy - maybe it just goes without being said.

Me being a person who rides, arguably of course, as many sticks as Hortonism, I can say it really is much like Chevy vs Ford vs Toyota vs Dodge, etc etc.

Goodes have consistently over a period of time resonated with me more so than the other brands. Who's to say if I stayed on a Vapor or Omni or GTR or any other high end ski, could I ski as well or better in the long run? It's hard to say.

But I have respect and props to all the guys at the different companies and have nothing bad to say about any of them.

@WideManiv - I think you should speak to someone at a ski shop/dealer and get a ski that is easy to ride. It's analogous to...say...you need a simple inexpensive vehicle to carry around kids and groceries and such. Most of the car manufacturers have offerings that could fit the bill. A Porsche Panamera would ceratinly be nice, but a Ford minivan might be easier to use every day. It's gonna come down to what feel and features you like best.