Show off your Vintage Skis

DangerBoy

• Baller

Continuing, these two are a “Wally Burr” purchased the summer of 1962 or 63 in Seattle. The other is an O’Brien purchased in 1967 (the year I was born, so I’m happy to hear my dad has his priorities in the right place), in Seattle.

ufvyjj620w4g.jpeg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

A couple more pairs that I have. The pair of doubles has got lots of patina. I think the Cut 'n Jump Competition Tricksters are from the early '70s? They're brand new. The guy I bought them from was the original owner. He said he bought them thinking they'd be a heap o' fun but they kicked his ass the two times he tried using them. After the second time almost being injured on them he got spooked and put them away never to see the light of day. There's not a single scratch on them anywhere.

Both pairs are waiting for me to figure out where and how I want to display them.

rgv1fb3alc5d.jpg

• Baller

I just picked these up today but dont know anything about them. I am guessing 50s but don't really know. I think they have either been refinished at some point or the original graphics wore off. It looks like the might have had some red on the tips and tails. Anyone have any idea what they might be or the age?r309zdxogxi1.jpg

wbr8akkp3orn.jpg

• Baller

@PurdueSkier I'm wondering if those might be home made. As for era, my guess is 50s or earlier. 40s maybe.

@H20Skier94 Are we talking inlaid mahogany Hooks, Comps or Comp 2s from the 70s here? Or something else? A fair number of the inlaid mahogany skis get listed and sold on eBay. Most people ask too much money for them and they don't sell. If you have an eBay account, sign in and do some completed listings searches for things like "inlaid mahogany connelly" and tick the box for sold listings only to filter out the listings that finished but didn't sell. Only limitation there is that it won't tell you what the final price was on Buy it Now or Best Offer auctions because chances are that something lower than the buy it now price was offered and accepted but at least you'll know what the upper end was.

• Baller

It took me a while to collect all the skis but this summer I added another waterski Adirondack chair to my collection. Now I have three! :)

Here's the new one

1oazfljiz54i.jpg

ul754rsoongh.jpg

Here's the collection together

qucog4xno3lu.jpg

When we built the chairs, we duplicated the ergonomics of another chair that I thought was the most comfortable Adirondack chair I'd ever sat in. We copied all of the ergonomics of that chair exactly so now my three chairs are super comfy.

• Baller

I learned on a TapperFlex similar but older then the one in this photo. Then I was able to purchase this TaperFlex 3, Wide Tunnel-66 soon after getting up on a single about 1979-80. I skied that ski and carried it all around the West during different jobs hopping to bum a ski for many years.

The Maja I found a few years ago, and to answer someones question about the small yellow washer, it is to keep the front boot from sliding too far forward and falling off.

The Cut & Jump Classic is another ski picked up that I planned to make something out of. It is of little to no value so it found a home at the entrance sign to my home.

As for my HO VTX & CDX they are not vintage enough to show and are still what I ski on.

ym7rdakb6xlz.jpg

wsmaymu3jqg0.jpg

owcgbpzcxz3n.jpg

• Baller

@unksskis If you look at all my other posts in this thread you'll see that I have all my best skis up on the wall in just about every room in my cabin and the workshop as well. I have no more room to put up any more skis! The skis that I've collected and made into chairs are ones that have been collecting dust in people's garages and boathouses for decades without being used or even seen.

What I've done is repurpose them and have given them a new life where now they are seen and used every day my cabin is open. Not only are they now works of art that everybody who sees them says are cool and help to give my place a unique atmosphere, they're also functional pieces of comfortable and useful furniture that get used every day.

You may see it as wrecking old pairs of vintage skis but I see it as giving them a whole new life and purpose and taking them from obscurity and disuse in a dark corner of someone's garage to a life of prominence and usefulness front center stage at a place I love and cherish more than any other on this earth.

And if you want to look at it from a monetary perspective, those chairs are worth WAY more than the sum total value of the skis that were used to make them. Have you seen what people are charging for water ski Adirondack chairs on Etsy and other places that are nowhere near as sophisticated and well made as mine are?

• Baller
The VTX with dbl Ninety Eights was one of my fav’s. I replaced that with a Phantom Carbon, which Eddie told me it was the CDX mold with a carbon lay up. Stayed on that shape for 15 seasons :)