Prop puller recommendations

ToddA

• Baller
Hey Ballers, I am looking to pickup a prop puller for our Ski Nautique, so that I have the right tools in an unfortunate opportunity of need. I have never needed to use one before, and in looking, there are the standard "C-clamp" styles, as well as the "harmonic puller kits.". Any recommendations as to either? Thanks for any advice!

• Baller
I've used both and I prefer the acme c-clamp style. Best bet is to just buy the weekend saver kit that comes with the puller, wrench, needlenose, prop bag and a spare nut/cotter. Just realize that the c clamp style are still designed to be smacked, they don't just pull the prop off on their own.

• Baller

FYI- follow the direction.

It’s not rocket science but one of my friends told me that when his prop popped loose it slammed the nut with a lot of force. If the nut was not still on the end of the shaft the prop could have hit him.

• Baller

Any prop that a harmonic hasnt worked on the c clamp style has struggled with for me. But I've also never owned a splined shaft boat.

The theory of the harmonic works very well to unseat a tapered style prop, which when those are stuck is usually something strange going on.

For splines I'm not sure a harmonic would be very effective since you sort of drag those off the splined shaft.

• Members
I'm in the market for one of these too. Why are the c-clamp style so expensive? Seems like it wouldn't require much more manufacturing complexity than a standard c-clamp. Any reason not to go with a harmonic puller? Seems like it could damage the drive line.

• Baller
I’m on board with the C-clamp and have never used the harmonic. I’ve used mine on 10+ boats. Only had to add a little propane heat once, to a prop that hadn’t been removed in 20 years and was probably too tight to start. Someone said it earlier, the weekend saver pack is great. Mine’s an Acme. I’ve got my spare prop in one side, puller, adjustable wrench, pliers, nut, and cotter pin on the other side. Used to have an extra shaft key but that one got “borrowed”.

• Baller
My .02. If you are talking a tapered shaft, and it's been properly lap fitted you may need to add heat. I went the extra mile with my prop, lap fitted it and they pre heated it before seating it. It was a bitch to get off. Made my own 3 bolt puller and heated it, I was beginning to think I wasn't getting it off. And as always, my personal PSA ... Lap Fit the prop when you put it back on. Poorly fitted props are responsible for a lot of broken shafts.

• Members

@BraceMaker and @Bill22 I bet you are both right!

@wilecoyote I hadn't thought to lap fit my prop. I may do that this spring. Right after I acquire a prop puller... I wouldn't preheat the prop at install though, sheesh, no wonder it was tough to get off.

@ToddA are you interested in @ALPJr 's offer? If not I'd like more info--but I don't want to step on any toes since this is your thread. Guessing the prop wouldn't work on your boat, but you could always sell it and keep the rest of the kit. That's what I'd be doing as I bought a new OJ and had them rework the OEM prop, which is my spare.