BOAT SHOW SEASON

blakeyates

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Ours is Jan 24th - 27th. Good excuse to have a meal downtown and look at some boats I'm not going to buy, laugh at how ugly the interiors still are on mega buck centurian boats. Decent beer at the boatshow is 7-8$ same as anywhere else.

• Baller

Heck Yeah! Live in Canada but the Vancouver Boat Show is lame for slalomers, not even a slalom rope or handle to be found. Last time I saw a tournament boat there was 2014. Going to the Seattle Show. It’s Jan. 25-Feb. 2. Usually call Darren at Wiley’s ahead and order up whatever gear I need for next season to make sure it’s there to PU.

If it’s boat show season it means spring is just around the corner ?

• Baller_
Pontoons dominate the Orlando boat show. If the ticket I had was not free, would not have gone. BTW pontoon boats have come a looong way and the price has followed...geeeze. :o I do expect MC and SN to have a ski boat there. Bu is a toss up.

• Baller
@Wish What people pay for pontoons always cracks me up! I worked at Kayot boats in college for a couple of years. Two of us could build a 20'pontoon, install flooring/carpet, bolt on the railings, apply the decals, install control housing, rig the steering, mount the engine/controls and throw on the upholstery in just under 3 hours.

• Baller
Pittsburgh boat show is all pontoons, bow roder I/Os, cabin cruisers, and a couple wake boats. A MasterCraft dealer brought a single boat last year and the salesman said with the lack of interest he probably won't come back. Not worth my time and money.

• Baller
@klindy That would be a great concept. Talking to people in the Nautique booth at the Houston show this weekend, many had fond memories of their 2001s from the 80s, but were surprised that 3-event skiing still existed at all.

• Baller_
@thager Have you SEEN the pontoons at the boat shows?. That's not a 3 hour job anymore. What they now have on board rivals luxury yachts. Six figures is easily achieved for cost with what they have on them now a days. Bigger cost, bigger price, bigger profit I guess. Granite table tops...really?? 300hp? Tri-tunes are replacing the high end family runabout. Every pontoon company's display had videos running of these monster tow machines pulling tubes and wake boarders with the factory installed tow bars. If forced to choose between one of these and a family runabout as a rental on a big river somewhere, I'd have to pick the toon for a loooong day out on the water with fam and friends towing kids in tubes. May even strap on a ski and give it a go as I'm guessing the wake and tracking wouldn't be so bad for a recreational swerve.

• Baller
I'd say that boatwise the Minneapolis show is about 1/4 pontoons, 1/4 fishing boats, 1/4 I/O of moderate size, 1/8 huge boats and 1/8 inboards. Pretty good representation of what is out there. Malibu always has a ski boat there, Mastercraft has one occasionally, Nautique never has one and when Centurion briefly made ski boats - they never had one. Midwest brings a bunch of gear at a reasonable but nothing special price, otherwise there isn't really any equipment there other than fish finders and crappy sunglasses.

• Baller

@Wish Todays are pretty plush in comparison but are pretty much bolted together the same way. Kayot also made 50' houseboat pontoons that shipped all over the U.S. Some came equipped with dual 100+ outboards and some with dual 454 IO's. Had options up the ying-yang. Remember installing a putting green on top of some with AC, plumbing, sliding doors, slides, hot tub, sling shots etc. Even those were built in about 2 1/2 days. I did a photo shoot for the brochures. The houseboat with the 454's easily reached mid 30's during the photo shoot.

• Baller
@WaterSkier12 , I’m going Friday and Saturday afternoon. WaterSports Central is now the Nautique Dealer and I’m told we’ll have a ‘19 Ski Nautique there. They want me to “man” that boat. I’m ALL in. Drop by and we’ll sit in it and “Ooooh & Aaaaah.”. Bring Cheryl’s pocketbook. LOL

@oldjeep I'm glad to hear that the MN Waterski Federation has a booth at the show. And I'm sure they do a fantastic job promoting the sport both locally and beyond. However, I'll bet there is zero (or near zero) coordination with US-WSWS. Since US-WSWS sells swag, shirts, etc. I'd make a sweet deal with the MN federation and send them stuff to sell and give away.

I'll bring it up this weekend at the board meeting.

• Baller
Havent been to a boat show in years. No ski boats, no interest. Dont see the big new luxurious pontoon boats on our lake, not exactly the high rent district. I am on a small lake, about 150 acres, mostly conventional old school pontoon boats. The lastest rage and most of the (very few) new boats on the lake are those Hurricane style deck boats. Uglier than sin in my mind, but I do kind of get it for the weekend warriors: A good hybrid between a pontoon boat to bring out your 15 closest friends and neighbors, but agile enough for the ever present tubing on our lake. Tubing is pretty much all you see on our lake. One other skier and me, an occasional very amateur wakeboarder or two and a zillion tubes. I was a little surprised this past summer tho, I actually saw a few boats with people learning to ski. Havent seen that in a while. Who knows, maybe its turning around.

• Baller

+1 @75Tique on seeing more skiers on the water. Mainly wake-board/surf boats pulling someone on a cross over skis on what appears to be an exceptionally long line. Kudos to those who do as I would never even attempt it myself.

I admit I have been a Correct Craft snob since 1975. They are loosing me with the aesthetics of the new hull. If Mastercraft was to ditch the pickle fork nose I think it could be my next boat.

Love the twin exhaust.

• Baller
Went to the Minneapolis boat show last night and saw the new nautique ski boat with a msrp of I think $118,000. Also saw a malibu txi however no prostar was on display.I did see a bennington pontoon with a msrp of $219,900 which I am sure will sell over the weekend.I only went because I had free tickets and it was not open to the public and they had free beer and drinks.