Stance: Skiing vs Surfing

fu_man

• Baller

I went surfing earlier this week. (The proper way. At a beach, not behind a boat.) It was awesome! I ski RFF and ended up the same way on the surf board. Didn't put much thought into it, that's just the way it happened. Apparently this is "goofy-footed" in the surf world. It worked pretty well for me. The direction of the wave meant I was on my toes rather than on my heels which felt pretty automatic.

In skiing the front foot dominates. In surfing apparently this is not necessarily the case. I could be wrong about this; I'm a complete noob at surfing. For those of you that surf, do you ski and surf with the same foot forward?

• Baller

Learned to surf first.. LFF; Slalom skiing several years later, did it same way.

With surfing it makes a difference which way the wave breaks. Right hand break (as seen from rider's view) seemed easier to ride LFF because you're facing the wave and can see what's going on. When you're on a 'backside' wave, you're looking over your shoulder to see what the wave is doing. Some guys were 'switch foot' ...something I never mastered.

• Baller

LFF slalom skiing. RFF surfing and skating. Left-leg dominant except when kicking a soccer ball, then I'm right-leg dominant. An in-line stance and a toe/heel stance have nothing to do with each other.

Now, snow skiing, that's a whole different deal - I'm RFF and I turn better on my heelside except in the southern hemisphere where I reverse everything.

• Baller

I slalom waterski RFF but skate, surf, wakeboard, snowboard, skimmboard all LFF. To me it seems natural, my dominate foot is in the place doing the most work. I once tried LFF Slalom as I think its an advantage on the course; my feet felt fine but my upper body and hands were very confused, back to RFF waterskiing.

On a side note, living in Southern California it's on my bucket list to surf early am, waterski mid-morning and snow ski afternoon all on the same day.