Heel strap for trick ski

ActionSport

• Baller
If you want to get fancier than an inner tube, go to a dive shop and get fin straps- they are a little more durable and a bit more contoured and still pretty cheap. Mine has a nice little tab I can grab to pull it up into place.

• Baller
Nice thing about the bike tube is it is cheap (you have extra if it breaks) and if you are using the same ski for toes or working on a new trick where you don't want to be locked in, you can just stand on it while still using the toe piece. Once you get more comfortable, you can go to something like @Nando recommends or I have seen people use the ratchet straps from Snowboard bindings.

• Baller

@philkyle - please be careful. Most add-on heal strap solutions are at significant risk of non-release. If your front binding is releasable, then be warned about adding a heal strap to a RTP.

FWIW, If I ever needed a RTP heal loop for a trick ski, I'd fashion an engineered break point into it. Basically some form of tear away solution which under normal controlled usage would not fail, but in a fall would break loose. Maybe that is inner-tube with pre-cut points which allow it to tear apart there in a higher force event. Maybe is is a small velcro section - just enough to stay connected in normal use, but not enough to hold my foot in during a severe fall. Something like that...

• Baller

A heel strap will not improve your skiing. Maybe if you are working on your third flip in the run, the heel strap might help. But far too many developing skiers put too much weight on their back foot. A looser back binding will make you learn faster.

If you are going to use a heel strap, do not use a releasable front binding! The worst injury I've seen is from a released front foot and the rear foot staying in on a trick fall.

If you must use a heel strap, start with a bicycle innertube strap. These can slip off your foot when needed.

Fancy heel straps or double boots will work - for advanced skiers only.

I use a very loose, very narrow rear toe with no heel strap and sticky nonskid for my back foot.

Eric