Hull Blisters

CBR51

• Baller

Anyone else have hull blisters. This is my 7th Nautique since the late 70’s ( all different years from 78-08) never had a problem before. Maybe I got lucky? I do leave the boat in the water for up to a month at a time without pulling it out for a good clean and maintenance. Lots of small blisters this year . The hull is a 2004 - 196. Should I just keep using it as is, or look to get it fixed? Thanks

• Baller
Yes. I guess. I have been around the sport for years. Everyone in our ski club used to leave their boats in and others in clubs close by. We are in the Pacific Northwest. Never did I hear of any boats having problems with blisters. I guess we were all just lucky. Thanks

• Baller
It’s called osmosis. Not uncommon on salt water vessels as they’re in for extended periods, but uncommon for ski boats. I experienced the same thing on my 92 Hydrodyne Comp when first got it in 06. Was in the water for about 4 mos. I took it out- put in a lift- dried the hull completely . Large amount disappeared but quite a bit remained. Light sanded with 600 then 1000 then buff with compound or Meguires cut polish. Plenty of good gelcoat - will come out like new. The blisters are very superficial but scared me big time when developed.

• Baller

Boats that sit in slips, like sailboats and sport fishers get bottom painted with “anti-fouling” bottom paint for that reason. It’s the barrier and every few years they get hauled and stripped,and even then, there are always some spots where the paint allowed minor water intrusion and a blister developed. That paint requires that it be left in the water, or it will go bad, as well.

Basically, never bottom paint a trailered boat and never leave bare a moared boat.

• Baller

We have had boats that sit in the water from May through October since the late 70s. Some of these boats developed blisters and some did not. We never did anything to fix them and none of them ever ruptured or caused any real problems.

My current boat is a 2002 Malibu Response and it has some blisters. My buddies 2001 Malibu didn't have them for a long time but did develop them eventually.

I don't see them as a structural issue but cosmetic. For year we couldn't put boat lifts in that has eased recently but at this point the investment isn't really worth it for my boat. If I were to get a new boat I would definitely get a lift.