Goode XTR 67 OR 68 (6ft1 192 pounds)

seangilbert

• Baller

Yesterday I tried a 67 XTR in some pretty awful conditions. Windy and cold water - 58 degrees. STD fin settings with 9.5 on wing. I actually skied ok and was quite surprised as I felt light on the line but had width. It felt stable and predictable. Tried it agin today in better conditions but it felt like I was working hard. I had reduced the wing to 9 today but still felt like I was working hard. I’m 6ft 1 192 pounds and can run 12 on a good day if the stars are aligned. I’m skiing at 34mph.

The Goode website rates the 67 up to 190 pounds. Any recommendations seeing as my weight fluctuates between 185-195?

I moved the boots forward 1/8 tonight to see how it feels tomorrow. Is there anyone out there of similar weight / height who skis on the XTR?

• Baller
I am 6’2”, 172pds, on a 67” XTR that works well for me, but I would like to try a 68” as I tend to ski on a larger ski than recommend . My belief is that you should strive for the largest ski you can turn consistently, it will be more stable, consistent and accelerate faster. The only way to know is to try, one skier with the same ability and weight will like a larger or smaller ski than another.

• Baller

I am 6’ 0” and 190 (thanks to the Holdiays but 185 in the summer). I have been on both 67” and 68” XTRs. I ski 34mph into 41.

The 68” feels good to me through 35’ off. The extra length of course makes it easier to get side to side. But at 38 and shorter the turns are too big.

I ride a 67” (Revolution or XTR) and this size is the right size for me. Right mix of cross course speed and easy to turn at short lines.

Try running your wing at 8 degrees. What are your binding measurements? Not sure going forward will be the way to make it less work.

• Baller
@bishop8950 - thanks for the info. I was running the bindings at 29 1/16 and moved them forward to 29 3/16. Didn’t make a huge difference. I just find that I’m working hard to get wide. Like you my summer weight was 185. I’m in Florida now so I plan to get back to 185. I can see how the shorter ski would work better at shorter line. I’m used to riding a 67 Radar. Any suggestions on the fin? I will try the wing at 8 degrees. I’m trying a 67 EVO tomorrow. The factory setting is 7 on that for 34mph.

• Baller

@seangilbert I run very close to the "standard" settings. 6.777/2.495/0.709 but 8 degrees and usually boots farther back. I just got my new XTR a week ago and haven't settled on binding location, but likely 29.0".

@mbabiash somewhere in the forum is a comparison written by Dave Goode that was spot on. In short, the Revolution is quicker and easier to get side to side. In the turns the XTR will be a bit more forgiving. So if you are an efficient technician, you may prefer the Revolution. If you don't mind doing a bit more work behind the boat to get automatic turns, maybe the XTR. Personally, I dont know which I will ride next year, and I have one of each. I know other team skiers like Miller and Badal ski very well on both. Ideally skiers should try both and see what fits them best.

• Baller

+1 on what @bishop8950 said.

I average ~192lb in the summer. I tried the 68" as well and it was good, but I didn't feel as settled as I did on the 67".

The Revo and XTR are very different IMO. XTR rides deeper so is more sticky and predictable but requires you to stay on the handle longer. The Revo rides higher, is faster, and casts out and up better...basically stays moving better. It isn't 'sticky' so the turns may not be as predictable.

I have found, in working on the concept of an early shutdown and moving the ski under the handle asap, is easier with the Revo. It stays moving in the flats and through the turns better than the XTR.

I love the XT and XTR (very similar IMO), but I plan to stick with the Revo this spring (maybe this year? We'll see LOL) due to its advantage in ease of moving out and up.

I imagine the only ski that could supplant the Revo is the Adams'ses'es 34mph creation.