Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Antique Boat.....what is it?

h2onhk

• Baller

Looking for some input on what the heck this is that I stumbled across. This thing is wild. i don't actually own the boat, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. Internet searches are coming up empty. Thinking its from the 1920's? Johnson made a Super Seahorse motor many decades ago, but I 'm not sure they ever made a boat. Any ballers out there have any in-site?

5mu89zpzlij3.jpg

s99v3hos04tw.jpg

6ea7kf1cpl7u.jpg

t08n6jw9ps9a.jpg

iandwji1nbb0.jpg

uhqbmzyd20h2.jpg

g8trowsu8xl0.jpg

cm8u18aaac9c.jpeg

• Baller_

You know what they say. The two best days in a man’s life: The day he buys a boat... and the divorce is finalized.

I’ll bet the boat is a one-off or a kit. It used to be you could get plans for hydroplane style boats from Popular Mechanics and Boy’s Life. They were popular in the 50’s and 60’s. A 20 hp motor could power a small hydroplane to 40 +. This one is much bigger than the ones I’m talking about, but in general, the same idea.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier my first thought was also hydroplane. There's no v-bottom to this thing anywhere. But then I saw the flip up seat in front of the steering wheel. Throttle is on the steering wheel as well. Has a lever that move left and right. The step hull from bow to stern is really strange. I have no idea how you would ever turn it. Kinda like a pumpkin seed sliding across the wayer.

• Baller
@Rednucleus totally agree. The cushions shown in the pics are original along with the old cable (rope) steering. I asked him where the outboard and fuel cans were. He thinks they were taken off by one of he original owners great grandsons. Looking at the transom it appears there were 2 different motors mounted at some point in her lifetime. So much to learn about this old girl. I think we need a name for her.

• Baller

I would name it "WOODY."

I originally learned to ski behind a Chris Craft Centurion, in the 50's, at 6 years old, and really Love to see these old boats restored. The craftsmanship that went into all these old wooden boats was spectacular. Someone please show some Love and restore this baby !!!

• Baller_

The stepped hull is a first gen hydroplane. Hacker Craft built some beautiful, very fast stepped hull boats in the 20’s and 30’s. Flip up seat in front of the driver is no surprise either. On a windy day a buddy or two could be ballast to keep the boat from flipping when driving into the wind.

The mystery lever may be forward-neutral-reverse shift lever.

Lpskier