Why Tournament Scores Don't Reflect Skiing Ability

ozski

• Baller
Its all relative..... Most people's tournament scores aren't going to be as good as their practice best certainly. Many factors go into that, including how many tournaments you go to (and how long since the last tournament,) and conditions at these tournaments, but primarily.....you get one shot at it (per round.) In practice you can take multiple shots, back to back, at your toughest pass. Thats what makes tournaments what they are.....

• Administrators

@ScottScott as you get to higher and higher level skiers I think you will find that best legitimate practice scores and best legitimate tournament scores are very close. My all-time best score was actually in a tournament. I have run one ball less than my all-time best dozens and dozens and dozens of times in tournaments and in practice.

Skiers that tell the story of that one time they ran 3 or more buoys more than normal.... if they know it or not something is not right especially at 38 or shorter.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@horton No doubt. The consistency that will come with the skill level you accomplish after years of practice, and consistency of practice time, will result in more consistent tournament performance. At my skill level, my inconsistencies in my skiing mean I have a 50/50 shot at having a bad day at a tournament and my best could be a full pass below my practice best.....especially as the inconsistency of my practice schedule means I may or may not get to be in best form come tournament day. AND for the ordinary hacker like myself, scheduling/finances haven't allowed my to go to a tournament in a couple months. During that time I have put in a good bit of practice/training time, and I am skiing consistently almost a pass better than my tournament best.

I fully expect to better my tournament best by a full pass the next tournament I go to (next spring.) Which means I'll likely wipe-out going through the gates on my opening pass.

Last tournament I went to I was so distracted by the clear water I was focused on something hanging down under the 1st ball, then I realized it was the elastic, and the sub-buoy, and the anchor line, next thing I knew I couldn't get through my opening pass. Tournament before that I lost count on my opening pass, looking for gates after the 4 ball.