How to keep your slalom handle last little bit longer. Any idea?

Ryota

• Baller

nx1166cfhwd1.jpg

Hi Ballers! How are you doing guys?

Japan got really cold suddenly from last week.

My ski site's Air temp is below 40F. However, water temp is still above 50F.

so I still skiing and working on my technics.

Few days ago, I realized that an iron pipe under the rubber on my slalom handle appearing. I attached the photo below.

I used this handle for about 1.5 ski season and it's time to get a new one.

I am ordering one but it'll be a months away to reach me.

I still need to use this handle for about one more month but is there any idea to make my handle last little bit longer?

Thought wrapping with this tape(the one for supporting your ankle or knees from injuries) might good idea.

I want to know what you guys do to deal with this. 8703805scmht.jpg

Knowledge is Power!

THanks !

• Baller_
Restring the handle (or get someone to do it for you). When you do, rotate the handle 180 degrees so the the wear spots are on top and the fresh top rubber is on the bottom. It will be like a new handle in your hands and, it will last longer than the one month you need.

Lpskier

Sorry to be negative but the chance of a first timer getting the handle tied perfectly the first (or tenth) time is next to zero. Great idea just not practical. If he can’t get it retired or it isn’t straight, there is no backup plan.

It’s a month, in cold water make the best of it. Rotate the handle 180 degrees in your hands - flip it over. The handles I’ve seen like that in the past is where the skier always put their left hand on the same end of the handle. Flip it over for a month.

The aluminum tube showing isn’t going to hurt anything, just be potentially too slick to grip.

Order a new handle and expedite shipping.

• Baller

I suppose it comes down to how you value your ski, knowing that just one unlucky handle ding can wreck your ski, think I would be buying a new one, that rubber is going to let go pretty soon.

As far as durability goes it is always going to be a choice between replacing gloves or replacing the handle, kevlar glove will wear your rubber handle more than Amara or similar, but Amara or similar will wear quicker than the Kevlar gloves.

Sorry but there is no getting away from the fact that one way or another you are going to have to spend money are you going to spend it on Gloves or Handles.

I generally end up spending it on both, but I am not one of those Guy's that likes using gloves or handles that are badly worn.

@lpskier she may have gotten it right on her first try but sounds like she had good coaching and she certainly had a "spare" she could use/borrow if she didn't get it right. @Ryota seems to be in a situation where what he has is he only option.

Again, I'd order one from Performance or Masterline or Amazon (?) and figure out how to expedite shipping. Have a buddy in the states put one on an airplane as air freight. Might double the cost of the handle but it'll be there in a day. It's light and small so it wont cost a lot. Finding proper rope and fids will take time and money anyway so save yourself the aggravation and start fresh.

• Baller

What @lpskier says, turn the bar 180° and restring it. When you remove the rope check the grommets for wear where they touch the aluminum, if there is wear don’t resting it, throw it away.

Finding good rope is also important, you can use the 5m extension to full rope also the 15 and 22off, use new not used rope.

I did it right the first time without any help and instructions, now I do it all the time and I have made some tools to make it easier.

uddd8ggee8kk.jpeg

• Baller

@Rednucleus During summer season, I ski 4 days a week/2 sets a day maximum.

in winter, 4 days a week/1 set a day.

But I do all three events so sometimes more than that.

We only have off season in January.

@MS I use Radar Boa K. Isn't that kevlar ?

• Baller

What kind of handle is it? Doesn't look masterline... Ive never worn a bar out before the rope on mine and better still,since I switched to the carbon custom handle.

As has been stated already, the kevlar gloves are trashing it. Switch to amara palm gloves. Boa-A are amazing. Use kevlar liners if you absolutely have to, and if you do, you are in gloves a size too big. You should barely be able to get them on new.

+1 on hockey tape until you get a new handle, anything else will be too thick and spongy. Forget re-stringing it yourself unless you are okay with the chance of ruining it entirely. At least with some tape you can keep using it.