Placebo Threshold

JAS

• Baller
With the "thousands of hours" being placed into fin design I'm wondering if "Blind testing" has been done. Could be done at almost any lake, on any day and with a small group of skiers. Would be interesting to determine the threshold of adjustment that is needed is to create predicted change in ski performance. I'm sure this would be different for each skill level. Seemingly would be an inexpensive way to validate the principles of fin adjustment that we hold to be true. Also could give some appreciation of placebo effect.

• Baller

Interesting...but statistically you would need at least 30 data points to claim anything beyond anecdote...and that's the minimal number. So 30-60 skiers who don't know what fin is under them, what settings it's at...and then get some feedback...and that's with different skiers with different styles and most likely different skis. Blind testing with what settings? New fin at base settings vs. you typical fin at settings arrived at over tons of trial/error/adjustment?

I get where you are coming from, as same could be said about new ski designs that are also dependent on binding/fin/wing settings. Tough to pull off thinks me...not that easy.

At least the thousands of hours isolated some variables...same skier or skiers testing...perhaps on their favorite skis.

I'm not after beating you up here as I love outside the box thinking and brainstorming but I don't think this is a simple issue.

• Baller
I watched my ski partner make massive movements with his fin last year like 1/4 inch changes at a time. He skied the same passes regardless. He only noted that some of them were a lot more work than others. Not saying that fin design and adjustment doesn't have merit. Just that good form likely maybe plays a bigger role.

• Baller
Adjustments are Real. Design...hmmm: soon after adjustable fins were common on new skis, probably hundreds of new fin shapes and materials were available and tried by national and Open level skiers. 30 years later we are right back where we began and the world record nearly 2 passes better

• Baller

Skiing is all about 'feel'.

All the effort in the world will not necessarily provide a sensation or experience that could ultimately provide an 'aha moment' necessary to make the next step forward in your skiing.

Trying anything 'different', be it good or bad, will always provide you with information to use the next time out on the water.