Trick ski size 43" or 44"?

gsm_peter

• Baller

The trend is to bigger. Not sure why because we also seem to like faster. Probably to get the most out of the smaller wakes of the modern boats.

My skis have grown - just because I skied better on the bigger skis. Mine's almost 45". Soon it will be longer than my slalom ski.

Either ski will work. But go bigger with all else equal.

Eric

• Baller

The D3 rubber edge is an older design and seemed best at 42 or 43. Also the rubber edges wear with time and the ski characteristics change.

I like the Aria from D3 but I've only tried the 43. (Or 44?) Nice low drag ski. The old hardedge is also a sweet ski.

Quantums rock.

The new Radar is excellent as well.

You won't be held back by any of those skis. It won't make a difference 43, 44 or 45. Bigger skis resist edge catches - that's why I'd recommend the biggest ski for you. But the difference is so minor.

Enjoy which ever new ski you get!

Eric

• Baller

It seems there is always a trade off when choosing between options. @eleeski said bigger resists edge catches, but what advantage does small have? Easier to spin, more agile?

I find it interesting how kids are constantly put on 42-43" skis when they are under 5' and under 100 lbs because they will grow into it. Yet, they also seem to benefit greatly from the larger, stable platform beneath them when learning initial surface tricks. Maybe skier skill should be a factor in choosing size.

The reason why trick ski size questions are often answered with "it depends" is because there are so many other variables at play. There is boat speed preference, rope length preference, boat make/model preference, ballast/weight additions preferences, etc. all of which affect the point at which and shape and characteristic of the wake and table where the skier will ride along with how the ski will ride on top of the water.

For example, all other things held constant, a slower speed means deeper ski in the water and more drag which in small order can add some sense of stability for a beginner, but can cause fatigue. Conversely, faster speed means ski is more on top of the water, can turn more freely and there is less drag to tire the skier, but feel less stable. So, yeah, it depends.