WhisperFin unboxing

Horton

• Baller
I don't think $300 is ridiculous if it really is that much better. This is coming from a guy who has a 21 year old boat, 20 year old truck, 18 year old lawn tractor, wife's car is 15 years old, 35 year old flat bottom boat, 10 year old carbon road bike...the list goes on. Everything I have is very nice and well kept, but certainly not new or even purchased new. Even most of my ski equipment is purchased used, except for the one "major" splurge for a brand spanking new 2016 Vapor. But the bindings were used or left over model years. Point being, I'm as frugal as they come, and if the value is there it'd be worth the purchase price compared to all of our other expenses in our sport and life in general.

• Baller

$300 for a fin that gives me the one buoy Horton reference or one that just improves my consistency; I would buy today. But $300 for an unproven concept, one that may even help others but may not work for me, not likely.

Just like one ski may be great for one skier but useless for another, different fins/setting improvement's are often individualistic. If there was a trial period to test, ala D3, Goode, etc, I would be more than willing to try.

• Baller
With ski prices the way they are right now - if a $300 fin makes my ski act like a totally new and different but better version of my ski then I’d say it is worth it! It is at least worth a shot - you could buy 5 of those wings and be about even. Adding a buoy to an average is a BIG deal. With all that said - if it makes you ski better and be more consistent then that is worth it right? Happy times ahead for skiing! Thanks @SkiJay!!

• Baller

@FLeboeuf

I actually spent a couple of months exploring surfboard shaped fin's on a ski. It was educational, but it was clear that they are two totally different tools designed for two totally different sets of roll and smear goals. We chose this trailing edge shape because it delivered the most consistent behavior at the finish of turns out of numerous trailing edge shapes.

• Baller
Question @SkiJay , I'm testing 3 different skis with standard fins. I choose one I like best. I try your fin on all three. Would I still choose the same ski, or perhaps a different one? I realize it may not be possible to know but still interested in your perspective.

• Baller
Never really thought of this before but just assumed a 65-67-69" ski will have the exact same size fin. If that is the case wouldn't it make more sense to have the fin be proportionally smaller on a 65 vs a 69 ski? I am happy to see that there is some more thought and engineering being invested in this area. Thanks to those that are putting in the time and giving us some new fins to play with!

• Baller

@ski6jones

That's a good question. Theoretically I'd say you'd end up with the same ski with either fin. However, that depends so heavily on how well you've set up all six combinations that in practice, it would be far from a certainty. That said, the ski you like best with the stock fin will likely set up to be at least as likeable or better with an easier skiing fin.

@Dacon62

One of the benefits of an adjustable fin is that it can be made to work in pretty much any ski of any size. It's not unusual for a bigger ski to have it's fin set up with more fin area than a smaller ski, mostly to deal with the higher load of the big kahuna riding it.

• Baller

@MickeyThompson

All but one of the shortline testers ended up with an unchanged wing setting, choosing to keep the improved width and space that came with more speed—presumably because when you're earlier, there's also more time to slow down. One is still playing with wing angles that are between ½° and 1° steeper, currently leaning towards +½°. Everyone else is running the same wing angle with no mention of too much speed at the ball.

• Baller

@SkiJay it Seems like there are really two types of skis out there and all companies are trying to bridge that gap. There seems to be those skis that are more work cross course but will turn really well no matter where you are on the ski and then the other seems to be quick cross course giving you more tome to set the turn up but not as forgiving to position in the turn.

I’m sure your fin makes both of these skis better but would you say that it complements one of these types of skis better.

Thanks

Matt

• Baller

I was trying to avoid certain companies but skis that I have been on would be comparing a Goode XTR and a Radar vapor

That’s a drastic comparison.

The XTR is considerably slower cross course than the vapor but you can turn if your early or late even not in the best body position. Not so with the vapor.

I’m on an EVO which I feel like sort or bridges the gap. The NRG seems like more work behind the boat but turns really well if your back or forward on the ski.

• Baller

@mbabiash

For decades, the standard fin has worked on any size or brand of ski because of its adjustability. The WhisperFin benefits from that same adjustable versatility.

I had testers on the Vapor, evo and XTR, who all saw enough improvement with the WhisperFin that they chose to use it at the PanAms. All three podiumed (2 wins and a 3rd), and all three skiers are still using their WhisperFins.