When was the last time you purchased a new prop for your boat?

Horton

• Baller
I have a large assortment of stock and tweaked props, but bought the three blade jump prop a couple years ago for jump. Phenomenanal combination with the 6.2, on the 200, but never even tried with the '19 Ski Nautique. It is so crazy strong with the 6.2 it doesn't really need the 3 blade.

• Baller

Last year I got an OJ 13 x 11.5 just to have a spare. Wow! Put it on my Lx with 5.7 and it has a better hole shot for short setups.

Edit: new prop vs. non-CNC 13 x 12. And I didn’t loose any on the top end due to added performance of a CNC prop, still getting 46-47mph GPS speed.

• Baller

@Bill22 I “upgraded” a year or two ago. ‘94 MC PS205. Goal was better -22 hump, not that it’s terrible to start with. Don’t care about hole shot, top speed, Rpms, etc. I’m honestly not sure the goal was accomplished, my old prop was maybe 12 or 12.5” diameter and made a great wake. Better than my 13” “stock” backup prop. It was reworked though and the cup or other stuff could have been off a bit? I told myself it’s better since I spent the $$$. I found 3 blade to be better -22 than 4 blade, tried both.

I for sure noticed the smooth ness and hole shot / pull up were much better. I think it runs 100 or so lower rpms at 34, don’t recall exactly.

The smoothness is worth it in my mind, especially if your current prop is not perfect.

• Baller

I bought the ‘01 boat used and it was on the boat when I got it. Just based off how it looks I don’t think it’s a cnc (no groves on the blades).

When did CNC become standard? You know there are a lot of guy’s still enjoying early 90’s boats.

• Baller

@oldjeep also last time I looked at the OJ website you could still buy the classic Legend (non-CNC) prop. They must still offer it for those guys that want to save a few pennies.

Edit: “The original LEGEND is a design handed down from the originator, Oscar Johnson. This hand crafted 3-blade has been a consistent performer for many years. The LEGEND 3-blade is still a popular choice for its performance and affordability.”

• Baller

@jercrane - did the same thing to my Malibu the first day I ever used it. We had gone out super early in the spring before all the markers were in the lake. I drove it over a rock onto a mudbar in one of the channels and then had to back over the rock to get out after a bunch of failed pushing. It was a long drive back to the launch at about 4 MPH.

Prop guy did an awesome job on it even though I had messed up the leading and trailing edges of every blade.

vc0tgv8130sk.jpg

• Baller

Trashed a brand-new Acme 422 beyond any hope of repair. The rear guidepost on our trailer broke off as I was backing the boat off. This allowed the stern swung over far enough for the prop to hit the trailer. We're still on the 422 that replaced it.

@Zman I suspect @Horton is hiding something. Otherwise a fairly random question...

Still working on the best prop for my 6.0L 200 at altitude. Currently running a 654 with a slight cup mod to reduce RPMs at 34 mph. Have tried a 1868 but didn't like the high RPMs. The 668 has a beautiful wake and it's pulls me and my family (all under 150) out no problem. Unfortunately, my 250 lb neighbor can barely get up. I plan to sell a couple props next year and buy a three blade to see if I can beat the 654.

• Baller

@HighAltitude Don't buy the 3 blade planning to use for slalom, you won't like the pull (brutal strong with the 6.0) or wake.

They also vibrate a lot. If I were you I would go with the 12.5 x 15 and have the cup bumped up from .105 to around .130. Also, tell your neighbor to quit pushing with his back leg when he gets up:)

• Baller
@oldjeep apples to oranges in this case. The 3 blade is a larger diameter but lower pitch and actually more blade area. Other than high altitude the stock 4 blade shipped on the 6 liter on the 200 hits the rev limiter softly around 50 mph The 3 blade hits the limiter hard at around 46.5 mph. It only takes it a couple seconds to hit it with the 3 blade.

• Baller
Skiing in a private lake, so would really need to mess up driving to damage one, but I did put a less pitch prop on last summer for a better hole shot. A few more rpm, but not a noticeable drop in gas consumption. Still way better than the 2016 my friend has.

• Baller

Currently running a 13x13 oj legend on a 1994 Ski Nautique 1:1 transmission 240 HP. I am looking at upgrading to the OJ force 4 blade 13x13, or the Acme 430 13x13 3 blade CNC. The Acme has a .080 cup and the OJ force and legend(current) have .090 cup. I primarily pull slalom and tricks, but pull some barefoot too. I did an acceleration check last week, idle to 36 in 6 seconds with no skier, and top speed 43 MPH. Looking to improve speed holding if possible, any maybe help improve acceleration. I have heard some props help flatten out the wakes on some boats. Anyone had any experience with that? Any ideas?

• Baller

@GaryJanzig I had ‘94 Prostar 205 and wanted to reduce -22 hump. After reading an in-depth test on MC teamtalk (he tried acme and oj 3 and. 4 blades) I decided to try OJ 3 and 4 blade cnc props. I had been running 13x13 cast / stock prop.

The cnc props both were smoother than stock. The 4 blade gave a little more holeshot (don’t care, boat had plenty), but I felt the 3 blade gave better -22 hump reduction / softening. Same result as the original poster. It’s still on the boat today….

• Baller

I put an OJ 310. CNC 3 blade 13x11.5 on my Centurion falcon 1:1 trans. Hole shot is unreal and the pull while skiing is very good. With my old 13x13 stainless steel prop the boat felt under powered, and the pull while skiing felt weak. This prop fixed all of that. By the way perfect pass works way better with a boat that doesn't get pulled down easily. putting this prop on this boat made Perfect Pass feel much better and the ball times have very little variance from specified. The OJ prop was probably the best money I've ever spent on this old boat.

• Baller

@GaryJanzig , beware a 13p acme is going to run like a 14p oj, federal or Michigan. 430 is a big block prop. A 540 runs 100rpm/mph like you are used too.

My experience on a different hull is the 4Force is most effective at spreading the propwash wide for roost mitigation.

The 541 similar but more efficient, less frothing, and rpm/mph less effected to boat loading. Higher top end due to less parasitics.

The 4Force let's the revs come more on launch, for a more exhilarating launch, but its not practical usable nor helpful for any of our skiers.

If speed holding is your aim, I would give the edge to the acme

I started with the same base engine. If you intend to keep the boat a long time, and mechanical, consider heads/cam/ Intake. You won't be disappointed.

Speed holding is rock solid,

I'm at 30 mph in 2.6, 40 in 4.6 to tops 49-50