How does the best crossover ski

Joelh

• Baller

@Joelh please describe what you mean by "crossover"

Ski companies have thrown the word around off-and-on over the years, but they're rarely clear what it means in the context of slalom. Often they just use it as a substitute for "advanced-intermediate" (good for someone freeskiing and starting to learn/advance-in the course)

If you mean skiing in-course vs free-skiing, my 2¢: unless you're just beginning to learn the course, if you picked a ski that was best for your level for course skiing, it would almost always be the right ski for you when freeskiing.

That said, some skis are better than others for:

1. being ridden by a variety of skiers (range of weights, range of boat speeds, range of skill level)

2. rougher public water (well, at least they are marketed that way)

3. "playing around", wake jumping, skiing at slow speeds (well, at least they are marketed that way)

• Baller

@andjules where I think the crossovers shine is for us people who don't ski on private lakes. Myself for example loved my 66" D3 - but found that maybe 90% of the time I don't go up to full speed and then you're skiing an undersized ski that really drags and it tires you out. You also end up riding out a lot of sort of crappy water and the drag will wear on you.

When I picked up the 67" Omni I noticed that I ski more second sets, I generally will ski through chop that I wouldn't on the D3 and it may be in my brain, but we ski sunset alot - and I feel somewhat safer over choppy water that's harder to read.

So my point would be, anyone who's skiing more open public water than they are private lakes might benefit from considering a cross-over ski.

Haven't tried a connelly V or the Radar Union

• Baller

I totally agree with Scot. I absolutely love my Omni. So easy to ski on. Accelerates fast! An idiot can get up on it (explains me!). So little drag on it which explains why its so fast.

I don't tire out as quickly. And it just turns!c8efgykgwx11.jpg

• Baller
@BraceMaker I 100% agree, and that's awesome... I'm just making the point that the word "crossover" probably isn't the right word (because it typically means something else when used in other sports/industries). What you're describing is simply a "right-fitted ski", for both your weight/boat speed and ability level (and water conditions).

• Baller

And thats where I fully intend to have another ski at some point that is again a newer tournament ski, but when 4 skiers means 4 slaloms plus maybe a few trick skis you need to have something that can "crossover" ;)

But I think that term is really HO verbage more than industry as they have a freeride series and a course series and then they need to market the dual purpose ones.

• Baller

Never skied an Omni so nothing to say there but have a 2019 Radar Senate Lithium (a little wider, 0.2 inches, and more forgiving than the Vapor but same shape as the ‘18-‘19 Vapor) and can say it has helped me at 32mph get from 15’ off and into 28’ off this year. Easier to get up on that my previous ‘14 Vapor and does exactly what i want. Felt right at home on it with no adjustment period. Skied a PB first time out on it.

Can’t see why it wouldn’t t make a great crossover ski. Although Radars new ‘19 Union at 0.4 inches wider than the Vapor but same shape wouldn’t be awesome as well. Guess it depends on your preferrred speed and line length. Radars web site should point you in the right direction.

9zw5g1ouf426.jpeg

x0aze4nacrmx.jpeg

• Baller
Another +1 for the Omni, HO gave it out this year at College Nationals for the best spirit award and it has done wonders for the younger guys on the TAMU team in the course and those just learning to chase boys and proper form. It's also really forgiving which I miss a ton about my old open water ski.

• Baller

@Joelh I saw your other post (what you mean by "crossover": 50% in the course, 50% free ski).

My 2¢ (others may disagree): pick a properly-sized ski that's best-suited to a pass or two above your current-hardest-pass-on-a-good-day. In other words, if the hardest pass that you can complete is 32mph at 15 off, pick a ski that's perfect for a 34/-15 or 34/-22 skier. The same ski will be adept at free skiing, too (again, there is nothing to "cross over").

If you happen to be anywhere between, let's say, 30mph/-15 off and 34/-32, then as others have pointed out above, the HO Omni, Radar Senate and Connelly Carbon V get a lot of good reviews around here.

The big exception: it's different if you're just learning the course at dramatically slower speeds (e.g. you free ski @ 32mph and are trying to get through the course at 26mph). The right ski for your weight at 32mph might not provide enough of a platform at 26mph.

I am a 66-year-old male with two new knees and looking to get back into water skiing.  I only ski open water on a small, private lake - no more course for me.  I typically ski at 30 - 32 mph on a J Craft (low wake) but am not comfortable on my old ski.  Looking at crossover skis now (wider).  Any thoughts or suggestions?  many thanks.

• Baller

@DavisLakeYou’ll get varying opinions based on brand loyalty, more than anything else. The top 3 seem to be the Radar Senate, HO Omni, and the Connelly V. 

The only one I have used is the Senate and it is an awesome ski. It’s super forgiving but can handle running pretty far into short line too.

With any of the 3, I’m sure you’ll be happier than an old ski. I hear nothing but rave reviews on them all

• Like 1

• Baller_

I can change based on how fast you are going, the Radar Senate / Union are good choices, the HO OMNI line is also a great choice, If you will spend more time open water the slightly wider union can help, but if you want to ski the course and some open water the Omni / Senate would be my recommendation. What most people do when they ski shorter lines when free skiing they do that because they dont hold an edge through the wake long enough and "feel the bump"  at the longer line you will learn line control much better that will help when you are at shorter lengths also.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾