Trailer Recommendation Ski Nautique 200

JJSKI

I just bought a new SN200. We do have a fairly steep ramp. The Boatmate trailer is doing damage and wear to the boat on the front reverse chines during launching or loading-not sure which because it is hard to drive ON and Off the trailer. We have tried multiple scenarios to float it on and off the best we can but is impossible, tried varying heights of trailer hitch,etc. We looked at a few other people’s 200s and all of them had varying degrees of wear on the front reverse chines. One had even added a center roller but in my opinion the roller was too high and the boat had severe wear on the center lower bow area.

We will buy a new trailer to prevent damage to the boat. My question is, does anyone have, or know of a trailer made for the 200 that does NOT cause wear to the hull??? Is this something that 200 owners have just come to live with and ignore? If you trailer your 200 and have a steep ramp and have no wear to your hull, please let me know what kind of trailer you have, include pics if possible, with and without the boat on the trailer.

Thank you!

• Baller
If you find a true fix let me know. And the problem isn't from steep or shallow ramps, it is basically the difficulty having the chines the way they designed coupled with trailer bunks; the wear happens in every ramp I have used and every technique I have tried to get the boat and off.

• Baller
The best option is to float the boat on, sometimes not possible. With the change in the hull from the 196 to the 200 the 200 is not considered a drive on option. One trick is to spray tire shine, WD-40 or silicone on the forward bunks. Be very carefully, you must keep the boat winched to the trailer when backing down the ramp. Another option that many are using is Bunk Caps. Do a google search. They are a little pricey but cheaper then changing trailers.

• Baller
We have a phoenix tandem axle for our trailer for our 200. We have wear on the chines from the trailer. We never power load it. Slowly float the boat on and then winch it up. Kind of touchy how deep you have to have the trailer in to get it over the bow stop vs really having the drag it up the bunks hard. The phoenix trailer also has kind of a screwy set up for the bow stop. It just has a pressure bolt that holds the whole thing up.... and not all that well. It frequently slides down. Overall the quality of the phoenix is pretty good though. I guess overall I would recommend it. Definitely a tandem axle if you do any significant towing. Drives and backs very nice. My opinion (with no facts to back this up) is that a more generic trailer will do more damage to your boat... and be less easy to work with. On the other hand.. I have a prostar that includes a trailer built for that boat. Much easier pick ups/centering.. and does not appear to wear on the boat. Just my 2 cents. I think I'm going to try the greasing the front half of the bunks where the contact is made when picking up. seems like a logical solution.

• Baller
I have a tandem axle and have the wear. Floating a boat on makes it difficult to get it aligned properly and I personally don't like the added risk silicone poses to an unwanted slide off. I have been pulling the boat up and then hand cranking the last few feet rather than a full on power up and this seems to reduce wear. The wear is not structural; doesn't affect performance; and you can't see it unless you are under the boat looking for it. The dealer said they'd repair the gel it if it really bugged me, but did not have any good permanent fix. So far I have not taken them up on the fix offer and have pretty much made peace with it.