Another Ca Fire

LoopSki

• Baller_

Thx for the well wishes. I think we could be safe for now, even though the fire is still going and only 30% contained. However, this is the most insane thing I've ever witnessed. Saw the plume from my kitchen window around 7:10 am....and by 11:10 am, it had already traveled 10+ miles (consuming over 1 acre a second) and burned through the town of Paradise (26,000 people). Many didn't have time to grab anything but their car keys. Some didn't make it. That evening, around 7:30, it was within 1/2 mile from our lake...I sat and watched it from the highway, from 8pm till 1:30 am...hoping it didn't jump the highway and make a run for our place. 20+ trucks, 2 dozers and a lot of firefighters battled and the wind shifted around 10:30 pm,...we got really lucky.

@MS thx for the kind words man. I know being from Minnesota, you're probably well aware of pretty much the worst fire disaster in US History, exactly 100 years ago, the Cloquet fire. 1000 people dead. 250,000 acres burned. Drought was the cause. We here in NorCal have the same conditions. Less than 0.5" of rain in the last 212 days. Thats not normal. Again, thanks for understanding.

• Baller_
@MarcusBrown that is good knowledge of hockey country. I couldn’t imagine if social media was around back then as it was bad enough with just the rumor mill. People actually thought that “enemy agents” started it. Glad your OK it’s not going good for lots of people.

• Baller

I’m a structural firefighter also qualified on wild lands (but not carded)...those hotshot teams, and the carded wild land guys are unreal—12+ hours a day, everyday...backbreaking work with hand tools...my hats off to them...

As a former duster pilot I wouldn’t mind doing SEAT flying, but it’s pretty tough to get into...and a very nomadic lifestyle...

Prayers for all of those effected...

Yeah this thing is a mess. As of tonight there have been over 8800 structures destroyed and 48 people confirmed dead, and this is only the beginning. There are sooooo many people that are elderly and or physically unable to get out or did not even know it was coming that will most likely be added to this list. I grew up in Paradise and my mother, sister, brother in law and many friends have lost their homes. My 92 year old mom had to walk out until finding a fire truck that took her to a shelter because my sister couldn't get to her because of all the traffic trying to escape the incoming inferno made it impossible. I live in Chico and many of the 52000 evacuated have landed here and the shelters are filled. Hopefully some rain next week will help put the brakes on this 135000 acre disaster. So as Marcus said, this thing is Insane.