Why didn't anyone ever produce this?

EFW

• Baller

Gonna have to ask @Schnitz

I'd wager for two reasons though - both adding up to cost and if its worth the benefit.

Assuming you have to have that machined, you've just added 2-3 steps, cutting the fin out is best on something like a waterjet, and they could be stacked etc. But those tools won't cut that bevel. A CNC mill could do that in one step on one side at a time but is going to be far slower cutting out the profile of the fin one by one than it would be a stack of them at a time or on a different machine. Then you're talking 2 additional set ups to machine that profile + clean up. you then also have tiny little screws needing to generate enough force to clamp those two profiles together and not have them spin in the round hole and machine those discs as well. Expensive wing to reduce drag when the wing itself is a variable drag mechanism.

• Baller
Did you see how the fin is also adjustable and resides in entirely within the profile of the blank. Can't get much lower drag than that setup. With what everyone pays for skis these days or boats for that matter I can't see where the additional cost would bother some of these high rollers.

• Baller

@EFW - I think the problem is - this assumes that you can have enough threads in an aluminum disc itself half the thickness of the fin - and have those threads generate enough clamping force to hold the disc in place, even on extremely fine pitch hardware you're down to ~.05" of material to tap - you could use screws like a 4-40 fine pitch and still have about 2 threads in the profile of that part.

You could for instance sand the mounting face of a standard wing down in thickness to say... .05" and then try to torque it enough to keep the wing from spinning...