is this weird or awesome #2

Horton

• Administrators

Okay clearly it is awesome but what the hell is he doing with the handle off the second wake?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpzu43qlEih/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=653t2teuo34y

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_

It looks like he is advancing the ski forward and outbound, possibly by pulling the handle in a bit, and the resulting action gets him free from the boat quickly. Consequently, he manages that sudden release so he stays connected by tilting and moving the handle a little fore/aft/up/down to keep tension on the line for the reach.

The action reminds me a little of what Wim DeCree does to advance the ski at centerline, though Robert is doing it after the second wake and in a more pronounced way.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
The kid is awesome and has a 41 in the books regardless of what people might have to say about that particular score. The great thing about this sport is there is no absolute right or wrong way to go out the gates. RP goes on the list of one of my favorite skiers to watch, I really like the way he uses the ski and he leaves it all out there. He's no pussy, more power to him I hope he runs a shet load more 41's. With regards to the handle its an exaggerated move that maybe helps him grab some extra width / space as he moves over the ski into the ball.

• Baller
I love watching him ski but even as a LFF skier I don't think that he is someone I can emulate. The move after the second wakes is interesting. I think if I tried to pull in like that I would wind up with my hips back and shoulders forward.

• Baller

Dude is crazy talented and super fun to watch. He also appears to have crazy fast relflexes. I expect he will be challenging to win any event he enters very soon.

My guess is “the move” off the 2nd wake is a not deliberate action but rather a result.

When I ski my best I feel the boat pull me up over my ski after the second wake. Even better, you feel the boat pull you up course as you approach the ball. I looks to me he is trying to ride the line as high as he can and consequently we see him pulling in a bit at the very top.

The “second move” as he finishes the turn looks to me like he is just keeping the rope tight as he comes back from the apex to the load.

• Baller_
+1 for what @adamhcaldwell said. CP is so deliberate with handle placement/movement or whatever you wanna call it. Watch a vid of him and see what he does with the handle from second wake to handle release. It's robotic. To me it's not a bad idea and can be tried by anyone. I can't speak for Pagozzi as his is hard to spot but CPs is rather obvious. Terry Winter is another I'd point to to watch off the second wake. If continuing the swing speed and pendulum affect off the second wake is a goal (and it should be) then this can actually help. It also helps get COM centered over the ski vs back on the tail. It sounds weird to simplify it but "doing something" with the handle off the second wake can keep a skier connected to the pendulum swing momentum longer (hard to do if handle is away from your body and there is a lot of line tension ...there's other problems if that's the case). Both CP and Pagozzi may have a diff rationale for why they do what they do but I don't think it's arguable that it helps them maintain swing speed and keeps the ski speed up and them centered over the ski. Great stuff! Pagozzi is so much fun to watch.

• Baller

You think that form is unorthodox? Check this out! This is a pic of a Body Glove poster that's on eBay right now.

Never having had any lessons I may not know a lot about the finer points of proper form or technique but I'm pretty sure this isn't right so I'd put it in the category of "weird" or perhaps "WTF?!"

The question is, do you think the guy made it out of that turn or just bit it big time?

ijt4yst9am9r.jpg

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield OMG! That's sooo funny! :D I've actually seen at least one guy on our lake one handed cutting with the wrong hand (like being serious/not as a spoof) so I thought it might've actually been someone thinking they were a real hot-shot and doing it all wrong. It's even funnier now that I know the story behind it. I'm now firmly in the "awesome" camp with this one. ;)

Did Body Glove know they were advertising with a spoof picture?

• Baller_
@DangerBoy, there was an Open Men’s skier who did that at the Water Ski World Championship in Chile a few years ago at the end of his 35 off pass. That is confidence.

• Baller_

@klindy, I did not see that one.

And, @DangerBoy, the instance I mentioned was -32 (not -35). Daniel Odvarko at the 2013 Worlds. Go to the 4:47:00 mark.

• Baller
I was skiing last year and making a pass feeling super easy and early........ Soooo .I tried to "tap" buoy 6 with my free 'off' hand and wound up falling not at all gracefully! I was so glad that @Shell wasn't shooting video that day!