Size Matters

Horton

• Administrators

This year I started to make the move from 67” skis to 66” skis.

I rode the 66” and 67” D3 EVO.

I rode the 66” HO Syndicate Pro.

I rode the 66” and 67” Radar Pro Build.

With all three 66” skis I never thought the skis felt small or slow or undersized in any way. In the case of the D3 EVO I liked some things with both sized. In the case of the Radar I was convinced that the 66” I had was a personal favorite until I rode the 67”

With all three of these skis speed was never the issue. Width is not the issue. Shorter/Smaller skis generally do turn harder and faster. That is a good thing right?

My final take away is that at 180-ish I can ride a 66” but turns are going to be much tighter and more frantic. With the bigger skis turns might be slower but that also means smoother and leaving me in a calmer state of mind approaching the first wake. It is not what I expected then I started this idea but I am going to gravitate back to 67” skis.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Hmm, depends quite a bit on set up (fin, bindings). I have always felt @ 38 and shorter the turn can't be sharp @ the apex as you are perpendicular-ish to the boat and there is nothing to pull you through the wake yet. Maybe as you are getting further down the line this is true? Maybe a longer ski rides higher and actually turns similar to a shorter ski deeper in the water. Contrary to logic , my pb @ 36 mph was on a 68, @ 34 mph on a 67". Unfortunately I never tried a 67 @ 36 mph, so not really scientific

• Baller

@horton me nothing

The person advising me thinks it will help.

I'm having trouble getting up on the front of the ski to get more tip feed back. I can't get the ski to turn very well on either side unless I push the DFT way up past the recommendations

Make any sence ??

• Baller
So, considering the factors (consistency, gotta run 38 to work on 39,etc), do you want to get 4@39,or run a bunch of 38s, which length do you feel would get you to that goal? And is it a different length depending on that goal?

• Administrators

@Drago it's an interesting question. In most cases if I can get around 1 and heading back towards 2 ball without unnecessary drama I will run 38. My assumption is the ski that gets me in and out of one smoothly at 38 is going to get me farther at 39.

I do own at least one ski that I can run a relatively high percentage of 38s on but it's always always always a hot mess. I don't ski on that ski much because I don't want to practice skiing in a frantic mode and I think once I get to 39 the hot mess will just get messier.

Circling back to the original topic. I think generally speaking the shorter skis rotate faster at Apex and are potentially more forgiving at on side. One of the reasons I would opt down a size for particular ski would be for a more forgiving on side but then that potentially means I'm more frantic offside.

Anything that makes my skiing more frantic is probably a pretty bad idea.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can