SkiFoil

radarboy32

• Baller

So Reflex has this product called the SkiFoil. You've probably seen it on the left, within the ads. A footnote on the ad says "Elevate your skiing!". How can they make this claim? What is it about the SkiFoil that will "elevate" your skiing? Is it just to improve trick skiing?

p.s. I understand false advertising and that that could be a possibility. I'm asking about actual ways it can help.

• Baller

If you are on a foil, you are skiing above the water. Elevated!

Foil skis are fun and challenging. You might not improve your buoy count but you will improve your skills and balance. Worthwhile for sure.

There's more to life than a right turn followed by a left turn around some red things floating in the water.

Eric

• Baller

Has anyone actually tried a ski foil? I have a wake foil and it is a ton of fun to do when the course is blown out and a great workout, however with some of the close calls with the hitting the foil being in a binding with that foil attached scares the life out of me. If someone has some experience and it isn't too dangerous I would seriously consider buying an old trick ski from the 80s and bolting the foil to it.

The great thing about these foils is they render a huge surf boat not necessary. We have been able to foil surf with no rope behind a prostar with just a driver, no weight, no wake shapers, just completely stock.

• Baller
Looks like an Air Chair with a slalom binding on it. I have ski foiled but on a 2 ski setup many yrs ago. One of the only water sports(or any sport) where you don't really bend you knees to achieve balance. Once up you kept your legs straight and just used your ankles to navigate. It is a pretty weird sensation but once you get the hang of it, it is a lot of fun and challenging.

@oldjeep -> gong (french brand) foils are €399 (for the foil) , €799 Foil + Board

Foils are tons on fun , and an amazing toy to workout , as mentioned before no need for a big wakeboat , any ProStar 190 or Nautique 200 will do , even a small boat with 9hp outboard would do , actually you don't even need a boat if you are fit enough ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/100014525910246/videos/509235799570613/

@BraceMaker I haven't ridden the refkex skifoil but am quite advanced at riding surf/wake foils...

The way you ride a foil is back foot directly above the mast so no the ski foil setup looks right. . then you balance the flight plane with your front foot.

personally I don't really see the point of putting binders on a foil ...

then call it what you want skifoil wakefoil surfoil supfoil it all doesn't really matter what really counts is what lies beneath. . stab, wing , mast

the great think about foils it that you need barely no speed to get them going and fly , on the rope 7mph will get you up , at 10mph you're surfing without the rope behind any ski boat !

zwlckxc8lj1f.png

@Chef23 this is what I do , no need for a proper surf board if you're only going to ride the boat wake of do flat water pumping you will need a surf board if your endgame is going out to see sur foilsurf real waves and manage a proper takoff ...

mine is an old wakeboard (boat board as the cable ones tend to be too soft) under which I bolted the Gong Allvator L surf foil (https://gongsupshop.com/epages/box1707.sf/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/box1707/Products/GON8SFOILALLSURFCPTL) on the pic it shows the tuttle box setup but it also comes in with the standard US rail plate ...

this is the kind of fun and progression you can expect with this kind of toys !