Thoughts on a rear hybrid binding

Orlando76

• Baller
I’m a RFF double binding skier. Given my recent injury I have been given a lot of thought about binding setups. What do you guys think about the rear hybrid? Originally I thought marketing gimmick for free skiers. Now I think I might’ve been wrong. I’ve tried using a kicker but I just cant do it for so many reasons. Wondering if the hybrid will realease easier (save me from buying double MOB) yet still give me what I like from doubles.

• Baller
I have used the R-style for about 4 years now. Love it. I was on double hardshells before. Lost no lateral strength in the binding and I believe has allowed me to get tall and more on the front of my ski. Definitely not a gimmick. And yes above all it will release very much like a kicker.

• Baller
I also have been using the Reflex R-style for about four seasons and the transition from double boots was fairly easy. This summer I tried going back to a kicker with terrifying results. Try the R- you may like the freedom of movement it gives.

• Baller

When I switched to a Reflex front boot, coming from 10+ years of skiing Radar double boots, I ended up with the Radar HRT.

I didn’t like a full rear boot in combination with the Reflex front.

(First I couldn’t get the boot spacing right, but more importantly, I didn’t like that setup from a safety perspective.)

I couldn’t make an rtp work, tried a few different models but felt totally out of control.

The Radar HRT gave me the stability of a rear full boot and the mobility and safety of an RTP.

I still had to space the boots a bit larger than I used to, but there’s no way around with the Reflex release.

I took a couple good crashes with that setup over the years, but never had an issue coming out of the HRT even though I pull it very tight when I ski.

• Baller
I went with the HRT when I got my Vapor boot and MOB. I went from RTP to HRT. I like it. It took a little work to get it right tho. Like a RTP, its pretty much a one size fits all. That doesn't really work tho becouse the heel is fixed. So a small foot ends up with a lot of extra material in front, limiting how close to the front boot you can get your rear foot. For my size 9 foot, I had to move the HRT all the way forward on the plate, then trim at least an inch of foam (with a plastic base) off the front with a dremel. Then I had to trim a couple notches on the sides so I could access the front screws (possibly only necessary for the D3 mounting hole locations.) After all of that I got it where I want it, with toes almost to the back of the front boot. Overall, I like my setup a lot. I've only had it a couple months. It took a little getting used to, but am skiing well with it now. I've actually struggled more with the deep water starts than in the course.

• Baller
@Orlando76 first of all, best wishes for the recovery from your accident. Your story on the other thread is really tough to read. As for your question in this thread, I don't quite follow you. Your accident happened because your front foot stayed in while the back foot came out of your double boot set up, correct? How would an HRT style back binding help?

• Baller
@Orlando76 I have used both an r style and the HRT. I used double hardshell boots for over twenty years and changed 2 years ago. I like both, but I have cut the r style down around the ankle so it ended up being close to the same height as the HRT. I agree with @Pat M, it allows you to get up over your front foot easier once you get use to it.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
@pregom yes my back foot releases but front didn’t. It sounds dumb but at this point, considering this is going to cost me meh, $15-20k out of pocket. I was thinking of trying to save $600 by getting away from doubles. Plus I’m not sure what think about Hardshell doubles. the more I think about Hardshell seem like a game changer compared to Wiley’s and animals that I’ve always skied. I don’t see me trying to ski for at least 8-12 months so maybe with that time off and the muscular atrophy maybe it’ll be easier to try a rtp like set up than in the middle of my prime. I wanted to hear what the general thoughts are on how well a hybrid releases, more like a rtp or am I secured like a binding. And I want to get a front release for my friend and try to encourage him to use it and Incase he doesn’t maybe I’ll Use it So I’m not out the $500 and try a hybrid rear.

• Baller

@Zman rtp user, but when water gets scalding cold I change rtp to rear boot with your setup. Releases easy - same like rtp.

@Orlando76 wishing you catch up next season. After I broke leg last year I also become more cautious choosing bindings and binding setup. And... any system may be safe or unsafe, it only depends on your understanding how it works and how do you use it.

• Baller

Note that the hybrid style rear boot was driven by performance, not safety. Not a gimmick, it rocks!

Personally, I think locked in double boots are safest. But I ski better without the rear cuff. When I couldn't get up two footed (hip recovery) I couldn't make a pass on a toe kicker. I made a hardshell toe kicker where I rubber band on my liner and replaced the clips with some binding rubber on a cuffless boot. With a little grinding and heat gun time, I could kick in. (Really thinking about a MOB release front as the back foot is easy in and out). Switched off my beloved Radar RS1 front (it tore after many good years, sigh) to a rubber banded together hardshell (sort of) - jury's still out as I haven't had a high energy fall yet.

o7igdgz9w8qy.jpg

Speedy recovery!

Eric